opinions on Dick Cepeck tires

• So now that I have upgraded my axles I will be jumping up to 35's. I know that a lot of people favor the MTR's but I like the looks of the "crusher" series tires. Do any of you run D/C tires and if so what are your likes and dislikes? I have read a lot of MTR reviews and it seems they are almost impossible to balance. ( reviews read at the Tire Rack website)

• So now that I have upgraded my axles I will be jumping up to 35's. I know that a lot of people favor the MTR's but I like the looks of the "crusher" series tires. Do any of you run D/C tires and if so what are your likes and dislikes? I have read a lot of MTR reviews and it seems they are almost impossible to balance. ( reviews read at the Tire Rack website)

I read on the internet that everything you read on the internet is true!

• umm if i thought what i read on the internet was true, I wouldn't have posted this question. I simply read customer reviews on the tire racks website, the dick cepek tires got about the same mixed reviews as the mtrs.....i personally never had good experience with good year, my work truck chews them up with in 20.000 miles whereas the BFG's that i ran got a solid 40k. I'm not going to shell out $1200 for tires that will wear out in the first miles.

• I had MTR's on my Jeep just changed to Duratrac to try them and I love how they look and how they run. My MTR's were kind of loud on the road. Duratrac are much quieter.

• The tire rack has them for 223.00 per tire. It's the cheapest I have found so far

Don't follow me, you won't make it....

Edited once, last by hookedonthebay ().

• I don't know much about Dick Cepeck tires but I believe Cooper makes them and the Mickey Thompsons, Pro-Comps, and some others.

I only have experience with Mickey Thompson MTZ's and obviously that doesn't mean much about the quality Cooper puts into DC's but in my experience, the MTR's are a 100 times better quality tire than my Mickey Thompson's.

So to not answer your question, I agree on the MTR's. Mine spin balanced extremely easily and are wearing better than any tire I've ever had. I got mine from tire rack but I mounted them myself which saved some money.

• For what you pay for dc you could get a better quality tire. I've had friends that say they wear uneven and have a low mileage wear problem also.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• I like the Dick Cepek Mud Country tires I have. Haven't had them off road much but they seem fine in the sand and street. I can't see why they wouldn't be good on the rocks. I also ran Mickey Thompson Baja Claw radials before these and I liked them a lot. They really dug in off road. My only complaints with them were that they wore out fast and they were considerably smaller than the advertised size. Pep Boys is selling those now.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• as far as the balancing issue (with any tire), couldnt you just put a good amount of airsoft beads in the tire? always balanced for the life of the tire...right?

(i have never actually tried this, but heard it works...)

• Skeets that price was tire only, picked up in wilmington, mike i heard the same on the DC's after 20,000 miles they were worn out from highway driving. Mickety Thompsons weren't even an after thought, I ran those on a lifted toyota decades ago, very lumpy and piss poor tire wear. Thanks for the input from everybody, I guess MTR's will be the ticket.... :up:

• I love my BFG KM2's! They seem to have lasted forever and Ive got some deep sidewall gashes that never punctured or gave out. Good on the rocks too. I ran Toyo open country's before that, they sucked and wore really really fast. I wheeled with guys running Micky's and they seem to get sidewall punctures way to easy, in fact one guy had multiple patches in every tire when he finally retired them recently. The guys I know that run MTR's seem to be happy though but they are all relatively new so I can say they wheel good but Im not sure about wear as of yet.

• For just sand I would with the general grabbers red label... Like what I got. You seen the footprint they leave. Almsot nothing. But all around general purpose off road I would go with the mtr's they got a nice wide tread on them. Not like mine but you know. I love my tires for the beach.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Check South Jersey Craig's List... There was a guy selling a set of 4 35'' MTR Kevlars on Cragar soft 8's for $900. He claimed 90% tread. This was about 2 weeks ago, so I'm not sure if he still has them or not, but might be worth checking out. I would have gotten them, but my Jeep fund is dwindling very quickly...

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/3892591105.html

You don't know what you can do, until you know what you can't do...

• There's the picture he sent me when I was trying to beat him up on price. FYI, he's not budging on the $900...
    If you end up getting them, I might buy the soft 8's off you...

You don't know what you can do, until you know what you can't do...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!