• Who all is planning on a Moab trip for 2014? I'm planning on burning 2 weeks of vacation again, just gotta decide which weeks. I'm leaning toward Sept 6th-21st right now. This year Colorado got snow on Sept 21st and again the next week, which I believe is a little early but I don't want to risk it next year. The summer is out because of work vacation rules, but I'm working on it...

My personal plan is to hit up the Ouray area again to try and run the Black Bear, Imogene, Poughkeepsie Gulch, Ophir Pass trails and maybe add in Engineer Pass and Cinnamon Pass. Might hit some other CO trails, but that's my current plan. Then I want to run down to the Four Corners area and come back through the Monument Valley area and Valley of the Gods. A bunch of westerns were filmed in the area (should be able to find a location from "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon")... then move north toward Moab and run some of the canyon trails around the Canyonlands National Park. A few of the harder trails were closed due to flooding when I was there this year, then move into Moab proper and run some of the more rocky trails. Would also like to take two days to travel the White Rim Trail (80 mile easy trail, with great campsite views and a few hikes available). I did it in one day this year due to not having a campsite reserved, but had to skip some stuff. Would also like to visit some dinosaur sites... there are a lot out there.

Depending on who I go with, might visit the Mesa Verde National Park again, it's a great historical visit.

Anybody else have plans they'd like to share?

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• How much money did you have to spend to do this trip would you say?

"I mean, I've always been a libertarian. Leave everybody alone. Let everybody else do what they want. Just stay out of everybody else's hair." - Clint Eastwood -

• How much money did you have to spend to do this trip would you say?

This years trip is different because I did a side trip to the Grand Canyon (an extra 700 or so miles) and stayed at a friends place further northwest of Moab. Next year won't have the GC side trip or the visit to my friends if I go with a DEJA group. If I don't have a passenger/co-driver to split fuel with, I'm planning for $1000-1100 in fuel (figuring 18mph highway)... should be around 4600 highway miles and hopefully 700ish offroad miles (yeah, that many). Then food (mostly lunchmeat, trail mix, hotdogs... camping stuff, with a few fast food joints thrown in) (150-200 depending on preferences). Park fees will be under $100. Accommodations will depend on the number of nights in a hotel vs campground vs free camping. I've got a free campsite lined up already for both CO and Moab and there would be another free site in the Valley of the Gods area. Also, if we stop for a hotel vs alternate drivers to drive non-stop from DE to CO (and then on the return trip. each way is 30 hours of driving). Maybe $500 worst case for hotels if split 2 people to a room (more camping would lower that).

So, somewhere in the 1600-2000 range depending mostly on highway fuel mileage.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• We stay at a townhouse through Accomadations Unlimited. It sleeps 8 and has a 2 car garage which s nice if you need to make a repair. It generally cost $2400 for the week. They have many different places for different budgets to rent. We ate out a couple of nights but mostly cooked at the house. You get very full days of wheeling out there so you dont do much in the evenings. Our trip was 2100 miles each way so you can do the fuel math. We also had 2 hotel nights on the way out but we drove sraight through on the way home so add another couple hundred for that. You will probably use at least a half tank of gas in the jeep each day too. I would caution that you will want to have some reserve money jic, usually the farther the trip the worse the breakage. Hope this helps. Ill be skipping next year and will probably do colorado the following.

Aaron

• Not supposed to put in my vacation requests until new years, but I don't think 2 days will matter. :) put in the for 9/6-9/21. If I'm going solo I'll leave on the Friday before, but delay until Saturday if I do have anyone else going along with less flexible schedules.

Jerry / Whatevah

• I've been talking to Sandy about this trip and it looks like it may be a possibility. We wold be driving the Liberty and probably taking a few days for the drive out meeting you all in Colorado. The Liberty has a 2" budget boost and is on 30's full skids, bolder bars, factory class 3 hitch in the back and a hidden hitch in the front for tow points. I'd love to lock the front, but I don"t know if it's in the budget.

'88 YJ, 4" suspension, 2"body lift, 456 locked F & R, 35-12.50-15 BFG KM2s on Cragar Soft 8's
    &'03 KJ, 2"+ shackle lift, armor, BBs, 245-70-16 BFG A/T TAs

• That's awesome Randy! Would be a pleasure to have you two along. I'll try to work on a few itineraries this week. Just so many places I want to visit... need to organize them into a slightly efficient order.

Does anybody want to visit the Mesa Verde National Park? It's not a 4wd location but interesting historically. It'll take a full day to do. And the following day we'd start in Utah. Four Corners then Monument Valley.

Jerry / Whatevah

• This video is a little long, but well worth it. Some footage from the 2013 Ouray Jamboree.

[youtube]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/youtube]

Poughkeepsie Gulch is on my list to do if it's dry. :)

Jerry / Whatevah

• Good video. I'll get back out there someday. Next time to do more than just a drive by. Hopefully in a Jeep too. :driving:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Can i get an updated headcount? I know Andy's out.

My current thinking is explore the Ouray area from 9/8-11 and visit the Mesa Verde on the 12th, then Monument Valley up to Moab and head back on the 19th. It depends on when we get there (I can get there on the 6th) and if anybody wants to do the Mesa Verde.

Either hotels or rental home for Ouray, hotel at Mesa Verde, and rental home in Moab. Camping one night in Moab on a trail. Not sure about Monument Valley yet. Might do that as a day trip between Mesa Verde and Moab.

Jerry / Whatevah

• We went last year over Labor day, 100* everyday, locals in Moab say Oct. is the best month? we had our rigs hauled out, (we flew) rented a house in Moab and loved all of it!! wheeled 9 trails in 7 days, like Aaron says long trails which take all day. Highly reccommend this trip to anyone who likes offroading, sightseeing , and beautiful scenery.

• We went last year over Labor day, 100* everyday, locals in Moab say Oct. is the best month? we had our rigs hauled out, (we flew) rented a house in Moab and loved all of it!! wheeled 9 trails in 7 days, like Aaron says long trails which take all day. Highly reccommend this trip to anyone who likes offroading, sightseeing , and beautiful scenery.

Who did you use to haul the rigs? We had debated this but never found a decent carrier that didn't want an arm and a leg. When I make the trip in the future I'd love to ship mine as it saves the vacation days I burned in travel time.

• Who did you use to haul the rigs? We had debated this but never found a decent carrier that didn't want an arm and a leg. When I make the trip in the future I'd love to ship mine as it saves the vacation days I burned in travel time.

We have a Bronco guy who owns a tractor and 4 place wedge trailer. This trip was awesome due to this guy (not working at the time) and was willing to drive with his Dad to Moab. He didnt even have a rig? so we split the trip 4 ways.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!