Registering and Titleing Military Trailers in DE

• So tell me where the misrepresentation is? Also per Scott Clapper Chief of vehicle services and I quote NJ does not title trailers under 2,500lbs. You will need to make that determination as I can't see the trailer. I assume the trailer is under 2,500lbs, though. In that case, you would need the NJ registration for the trailer and a bill of sale.
    See this is what you get when you research something BEFORE you buy it. Now let the man sell his stuff!

• So tell me where the misrepresentation is? Also per Scott Clapper Chief of vehicle services and I quote NJ does not title trailers under 2,500lbs. You will need to make that determination as I can't see the trailer. I assume the trailer is under 2,500lbs, though. In that case, you would need the NJ registration for the trailer and a bill of sale.
    See this is what you get when you research something BEFORE you buy it. Now let the man sell his stuff!

It's got nothing to do with NJ.

And please let DEJA handle policing the forums.

• Well, i for one would love to see scott claper
    put his official position on the matter on some
    kind of legal document. I was also declined
    a title on a trailer after being told a registration
    from out of state would suffice. Lucky for me
    though that i made it a condition of sale and
    didnt lose anything but a day at the DMV.

• UMM that was Scott Clapper from DELAWARE DMV not New Jersey.

Get it in writing from Mr. Clapper, in an official capacity on DELDOT letterhead, WITH State Police concurrence, or it didn't happen.

I also had verbal "guarantees" from various individuals that should have known what they were talking about. In the end, it didn't matter, because I didn't have any binding information. The trailer passed DELDOT inspection with no issues. I won't elaborate but the State Police refused to process it. DELDOT followed-up with a "tough luck". So feel free to continue with your claims but the fact remains, titling a trainer of this type in DE is by no means guaranteed even with a valid out of state Registration and Bill of Sale. I for one would never take the risk again with a $1,500 purchase, nor would I sit by and let DEJA folks make purchasing decisions based on bad information. Whether they end up using the information one way or another is not my issue. If someone wishes to put their faith in a verbal statement of unknown origin then they are free to do so.

• Umm have it from his official email, can't help it if some people aren't liked by the DMV. Here ya go, and by the way there is NO guaranteed that any vehicle will be cleared!

Vehicle Services Auto Theft Inspection Schedule

The Division of Motor Vehicles requires some vehicles to be inspected by the Delaware State Police Auto Theft Unit. These vehicles include vehicles that have been reconstructed, flood damage or missing vehicle identification numbers and vehicles that a title cannot be obtained. The Auto Theft Unit schedule is listed below:
    All trailer Auto Theft Unit inspections will be done by appointment at the State Police Troop, except in Kent County.

[li]In New Castle County, contact Troop #2 at 302.834.2630 ext. 609[/li]
      [li]In Sussex County, contact Bill Groton at Troop #4 at 302.856.5850 ext. 202[/li]
      [li]In Kent County, contact Bill Johnson at 302.741.2819.[/li]

Auto Theft Inspection Schedule

DateOffice LocationTime
    2nd Thursday of each monthDover Inspection Lane (Public Safety Child Safety Seat Building or Lane #4)8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and
    1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
    3rd Thursday of each monthGeorgetown Inspection Lane (Inspection Lane #1)8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and
    1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
    1st & 4th Thursday of each monthWilmington Inspection Lane
    (Inspection Lane #4)
    8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and
    12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.

For questions regarding the Auto Theft schedule or inspection contact one of the following DMV telephone numbers:

Office LocationPhone Number
    Dover302.744.2500
    Georgetown302.853.1000
    New Castle302.326.5000
    Wilmington302.434.3200

Site Footer

• Vehicle Services Auto Theft Inspection Schedule

The Division of Motor Vehicles requires some vehicles to be inspected by the Delaware State Police Auto Theft Unit. These vehicles include vehicles that have been reconstructed, flood damage or missing vehicle identification numbers and vehicles that a title cannot be obtained. The Auto Theft Unit schedule is listed below:
    All trailer Auto Theft Unit inspections will be done by appointment at the State Police Troop, except in Kent County.

I've been through that process twice with older boat trailers. One was registered in DE the other in MD. Both had valid and signed bill of sale and titles. I had no issues.

• Umm have it from his official email, can't help it if some people aren't liked by the DMV. Here ya go, and by the way there is NO guaranteed that any vehicle will be cleared!

What you posted is meaningless. Same info as the website. Reality differs. I am done discussing it with you because you can't back up what you claim.

• Ditto to you quantum

Let me break what I said and respond. I can prove my point, and did. So can Bonkers. So can others on this site. You cannot dispute my/our experience(s), what I was told by DMV to start with, what I was told by SP, and how DMV failed to stand behind what they initially said. So as smart as you think you are, which is apparently quite smart, and also quite wrong, please continue on citing your generic web references and Google look-ups rather than actual firsthand knowledge or experience. "I saw it on the Internet so it must be true!" Sound familiar? Like so many others like you and before, press on valiant Internet Warrior, press on!

In the end however, mission accomplished. Anyone considering buying a trailer without a VIN and/or Title will be well informed as to the risk they are taking. I know how pissed I was when it appeared I had +$2000 into a trailer that couldn't be tagged. I only hope I can save someone else that experience. If possible, always always always go for the deal where the trailer has a valid Title and VIN already as regardless of the outcome, you will save yourself much aggravation and work. :up:

• This seems to be in 2wd, on the beach... going nowhere. Both sides have shared their opinions or history, time to close it for the time being. If anybody does register a non-titled military trailer in DE, please start a new thread with your experiences!

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!