CHSP access discussions

• I just saw Keith. Erics post now.. Looks like we can have a surf fishing 101 this spring....let's do it !

Surf Fishing 101 is a great idea. Would be a good way to learn some different techniques/setups as well. I've only been fishing the surf for about 3 seasons now and always ready to learn new techniques as I have not been too productive with my catches.

I just became a member a couple weeks ago. Sandtosand is the only member I've met so far, last summer at CHSP. This would also help me get to know some of you guys/gals.

• Gotta remember too, this whole program was designed for people that actually want to surf fish.

The DMS are large, well organized and carry a lot of clout. I think they want their beach back.

I got my first tag back in 1983, and I can tell you things have changed in 30+ years.

The SUV has probably had the largest influence in the surf beach dynamic.

I remember seeing the hard core guys that would come out with nothing more than a rod and a tin coffee can filled with bucktails and rubber worms.

Now, standard equipment includes shower stalls, tents, video projectors, etc.

Not saying it's wrong in my book, but I think it's blurred what the original intent of the program was.

• I meant nessesities for the fishing part. Like what type of tackle/hooks/tools/bait ect. .
    Ive only ever fresh water fished and I imagine its alot different. Im covered on the driving on the beach items.

• Bottom line is I feel bad for these guys and girls that are on the front lines dealing with both the decisions that are going to have to be made and actually dealing face to face with the drunken public. They have a huge task ahead of them that's for sure. I guess we don't see the bad stuff that happens on the beach but some of the stories that I've heard are unreal. I am not sure where all of the funds go from beach tag sales but the cold hard reality is the people on the front lines are doing a whole lot with very little..
    I will start another topic in the outdoor forum for surf fishing. I think an informal 101 would be awesome, it never hurts to share information and to learn new techniques.

• This ^ I avoid peak hours during the summer so that I don't have to deal with the BS. (Had some bad experiences in the past)

No alcohol, a reservation system and enforcing current rules would solve a lot of the issues.

I do feel for the Rangers as they are spread thin and overwhelmed.

• I'm all for enforcing the current rules, but starting up a reservation system and banning alcohol will most likely result in myself (and most of my beach friends) never returning. Great for the dedicated folks who want to catch food....and absolutely nobody else. I'm not there to catch my limit of fish...and typically my biggest offense is having beer in a bottle instead of a can. Other than that I'm fine with the beach behavior I'm surrounded by when I hit CHSP. :shrug:

• I read a couple people saying they have had bad experiences in the past. Other then being crowed during the time you went what are these bad experiences that make you favor new rules being enforced?

• I read a couple people saying they have had bad experiences in the past. Other then being crowed during the time you went what are these bad experiences that make you favor new rules being enforced?

if you are asking me, i'm not favoring anything, I am just passing along topics that had been discussed in casual conversation.

Personally I fish and enjoy, I have been surf fishing for the better part of 18 years at CHSP, Camping, day trips , weekends and week days. Never had a major problem. Only annoyance is people casting a 2oz rig and ignoring it as it drifts past and catches everyone else's rigs, and people getting pissed off when you are casting where they are swimming and perhaps bad country music played way too loud (no offence Mike! )

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

My bad experience involved an intoxicated and belligerent group with a blatant disregard to ANY of the current rules at that time. Had one of my friends that was there with us not been a state trooper, it may have gotten a lot worse. That was the last and the worst incident. Other than that it is general annoyances. IE. disrespectful people, loud music, over crowding your space(parking so close they hit your vehicle every time they open their door), swimming around your lines etc...
    I do not have an issue with alcohol on the beach, just the people who drink too much. If partying on the beach has become a major concern for DNREC, then ban the alcohol, problem solved. If overcrowding is a major concern then employ a system to regulate the number of vehicles on the beach at one time. If it is getting discussed as Bob says it is then there must be quite a few complaints and a push for changes.
    Everyone needs to remember the SOLE purpose of the Surf Fishing Permit is access to a designated surf fishing area to be actively engaged in surf fishing at ALL times. If that is not in your intention, simply don't buy the tag. There are other areas of the beach or other beaches all together that you can visit. A couple do not require any permit, active fishing, gear etc...

• I had that parking too close incident myself just this past summer. Asshole parked so close to me that I could not open my jeep door. There was NO ONE on the other side of him, I asked if he could move over some, he told me to go f myself, I at that point we got face to face and we almost came to blows. But I walked away and reached into the jeep and pulled out my winch remote and wire and plugged it into the winch, got in the jeep and started my engine, he asked what I was doing and I told him I was going to move his vehicle myself, he got in his Subaru or what ever it was and drove away while giving the middle finger to me out the window. There are some real sashays out there

• I saw 3 deep last year on the south end of the Point crossing... parked all the way down by the pavilion. Firefighter/EMT group from New Castle County, I recognized a lot of them. There was a March of Dimes event at the pavilion so I'm guessing that might have brought out a few more than usual.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Personally I fish and enjoy, I have been surf fishing for the better part of 18 years at CHSP, Camping, day trips , weekends and week days. Never had a major problem. Only annoyance is people casting a 2oz rig and ignoring it as it drifts past and catches everyone else's rigs, and people getting pissed off when you are casting where they are swimming and perhaps bad country music played way too loud (no offence Mike! )

Non taken steve.... On the bright side i never had a bad experience minus a missing tackle box.... Only issues i have ever had was chasing people of the dunes and getting a fishing hook stuck in my arm.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Never had an incident with people but I only go out once a year. :) But once my line snapped during casting and I lost my rig. Some nice kid brought it back to me about an hour later. It was hooked in the bottom of his boogie board. :(

Perfect example why you shouldn't be swimming where people are fishing.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Never had an incident with people but I only go out once a year. :) But once my line snapped during casting and I lost my rig. Some nice kid brought it back to me about an hour later. It was hooked in the bottom of his boogie board. :(

Perfect example why you shouldn't be swimming where people are fishing.

It was still solid of him to bring it back to you.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!