no start problem

• Ok, asking for some help from the JK crowd...

Last night, the JK had a weak start but fired on first key turn. Hadn't used it all day besides opening the windows. Drove to the hospital and sat with a friend for 4 hours. Leaving, it had a weak turn and no start. Second try had a click, 3rd try had a weak turn but it fired up. Drove my friend home then drove home. Shut it off then immediately turned the key. Click, no start. Used a meter to check the voltage, was at 12.5V. Went to bed..

Today, again just a click. Used a charger/jump pack and just a click. Off the charger, the voltage was in the upper 13s, but quickly dropped to 12.7. Would drop to 12.5 after a few key turns. Hooked up two sets of 4ga jumper cables to my brothers 5.7L hemi pickup. Let it charge for a while, but still just a click. Meter shows steady drop from 13s to 12.7V.

I loosed and retightened all grounds I could find and checked the battery terminals. I unplugged my secondary fuse box and CB radio incase of power drain. I checked the connections at the starter and they're clean and tight.

The battery is an Optima Red Top that I installed in October. I don't think it's the battery because it's so new, never drained it or winched from it, and the voltage doesn't drop below 12.5. But, I'll try taking it to Advance Auto tomorrow to be checked. I bought it there, hopefully they keep records because I didn't save the receipt.

None of the parts stores have a starter... Pep Boys can order one, but nobody else even has it in the computer. I really don't want to pay the crazy dealer markup prices. This is a 2012 with the 3.6L Pentastar, so different than the 07-11 years. 45,000 miles.

Anybody have input? I think it's either the battery or starter, but neither really makes sense. I checked with MellowYellow but he's 10,000 miles older than me with no issues.

I really hate the computerized system, so easier to diagnose on the older vehicles.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Usually the parts store take your name, number, etc. for the warranty info. I think the Optimal are 3 yr or 5 yr warranties. As for diagnosis, I'd agree with you on the initial culprits. Autozone can test your starter as well.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• The advance that you bought the battery at will have your info in the system. If you go to a different store, it won't be in the computer, but they can call the store you originally purchased at and get the trans Barcode. I'll check on a starter for you when I get back to work. I agree, it sound like the starter.

• Thanks, Andy! About to start messing with it again. Guess I'll try the hammer and see what happens.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• May not have hit it hard enough, but no luck with the hammer. Tried direct ground from the starter to the battery and no change. The only place in the area with a starter is Carman Dodge, I'll be there at 8am on Monday when they open. I have to get this running by Monday night. I have a ride for the weekend, but have to be in West Chester for a part-time job on Tuesday.

Jerry / Whatevah

• im late chiming in...since our conversation the other day. Did you check RELAYS? perhaps there is a relay under the hood somewhere that went bad?

i haven't looked at how the wiring is done...but i'd think there is a relay or fuse that is part of the crazy wiring system they have these days...

• Get a new battery. You aren't getting full cranking amps out of it.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• What about the dual 4ga jumper cable sets? Those should supply more power than enough juice.

Jerry / Whatevah

• I agree with the starter or the relay, voltage drop that you say you have is pretty normal, should still crank half way decent as low as 10 volts, it probably wouldn't start at 10 but should still crank

• Wouldn't be the first JK 3.6L starter i've heard of going bad! Jerry try having someone turn the key to crank while you give the starter a few good whacks with a hammer.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• Several more hammer taps and a new battery did nothing. A new mopar starter has it back to normal. Sadly, I had to get it towed (free, roadside service) and have a shop do the work. I couldn't budge the bolts, even with my new corded impact gun. Thanks, Jeep.

Jerry / Whatevah

• Has anyone ever determined why they eat starters? Is it a crappy brand of starter they're using, underpowered starter, or is the exhaust too close?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Has anyone ever determined why they eat starters? Is it a crappy brand of starter they're using, underpowered starter, or is the exhaust too close?

Jerry left out the part that he stuck hi JK in a really deep mud pit two weeks ago.... :shrug:

• Glad you hit it fixed. What bolts couldn't you get out?

I couldn't get any of them off, even the closest one. Guess they were put on with an impact gun at the factory.

I guess it's theoretically possible that the water was a factor (it is the first time it's sat in water before), but there are hundreds of idiots who get stuck in deep stuff all the time and you'd think that I could find more posts about dead starters in the newer JKs.

Jerry / Whatevah

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!