Spare gears

• I was changing the gear oil in my t-90 today and some gear teeth came out with the oil. I guess I can either put them back in or save them for trail spares...you never know when you're going to break one off.

• I was changing the gear oil in my t-90 today and some gear teeth came out with the oil. I guess I can either put them back in or save them for trail spares...you never know when you're going to break one off.

:laughing:

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I think the tooth count affects the gear ratio, it didn't seem like it had changed. :spinrhead:
    I was going to sign up for the January trail ride, but I don't think I'll make that one. At least the transfer case oil looked pretty good. It was going to be a relaxing winter.

• I think the tooth count affects the gear ratio, it didn't seem like it had changed. :spinrhead:

Although gear tooth count is commonly used to decipher gear ratios, the actual ration is based on the gear base circle (if that is the right term) diameter. Breaking a tooth off a gear isn't going to change your gear ratio because that base circle diameter hasn't changed.

The gear train noise will be noticeably louder though.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I'm pretty sure it was tongue-in-cheek humor.
    'trail spares' and 'put them back' and 'affects the gear ratio'. I thought it was very funny.

(I certainly hope he was kidding.) :P

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• Thanks for the input guys. I certainly was kidding. Just trying to use a little humor to make the situation a little less of a bummer. I will be pulling the transmission this week and ordering more parts. I couldn't tell what gear they were from, but they were all new and sourced from wherever they were available at the time. I don't really remember hearing them break or anything, but it did pop out of gear violently once or twice.
    It didn't sound quite like the t-86 that I blew up in my first jeep when my rebuilding buddy left out the bearing retainers. That was more of a crunch crunch crunch pow kind of thing. It also didn't sound like the time I was wheeling all day about fifty miles from home and when I stopped for gas the guy next to me said my jeep was smoking. When I looked under it the drain plug for the transfer case was gone and smoke was billowing out. Even with a new plug and oil it just got really loud really fast.

• Got it all apart. The brand new cluster gear lost about seven teeth and several more were cracked and ready to go. The brand new hardened shaft for the cluster gear didn't agree with all the hardened steel particles, so it was heading south also. The input shaft main bearing had gear teeth shoved into it and was rough also.
    I ordered a NOS cluster gear and am waiting on a rebuild kit. At least the teeth that are gone are in constant mesh, eliminating "driver error" as the cause. The driver makes plenty of errors, just not this one.

• I would have used PC7 epoxy....just saying. :innocent:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I would have used PC7 epoxy....just saying. :innocent:

Dude! The mechanics flow chart doesn't say anything about using Super Glue!! That's what duct tape is made for........ :bang:

Shhh... He knows what he's doing. He is a member of the Sacred Secret Brotherhood of the Willys. They have knowledge of things that aren't accessible by outsiders - things discussed only in hushed tones.

~ JD

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• Shhh... He knows what he's doing. He is a member of the Sacred Secret Brotherhood of the Willys. They have knowledge of things that aren't accessible by outsiders - things discussed only in hushed tones.

Ummmm...... aren't we all a part of that "brotherhood"?? ;)

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• That's whats great about these forums, so much info. I went ahead and used the epoxy to hold the teeth on, jb weld to fill the big gaps, and held in place with duct tape while it all set up. Super glue is just not safe.

• This part is not meant to be humorous.
    When I built this transmission, I had to wait about a month for the special high dollar extra hardened countershaft from a well respected company in the USA. That is the shaft on the bottom. Zoom in to see the smoothness of that special shaft.
    That shaft was wearing prematurely for some reason, and I believe it wore far enough out that the gears were able to eat each other.
    Since their shaft is still said to be the best available, I ordered another one from the same outfit. The new one is the beautifully machined, o-ringed model that is right above the other one in the picture.
    I hope this one lasts a little longer!
    [img width=900 height=1200]http://i1294.photobucket.com/a…355c559fe_zpseflqpd2a.jpg[/img]

• I got it all back together. Sounds quieter and shifts nicer than ever. I would have gone on the trail run today but I booked a pheasant hunt while parts were on indefinite backorder. I'm hoping the glue will hold long enough to get to the March trail run.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!