Winter Projects

• Well it is officially cold, couldn't feel my fingers last night. Who has winter projects planned. I haven't seen any good build threads or write ups in a while for the local crew. So who's doing what this winter.

Unfortunately, my projects don't really include my jeep, although I have a flat dash and new gauges still sitting in my basement that I have wanted to put on for about 2 years. My main project this winter is to put a ceiling and blow in insulation in the new shop. Its cold and I want to hang my big ass Reznor heater. 165,000 BTU's should warm it up enough to work when I need to even without insulated walls. I'll do the walls for next winter.

Right now I am working on reinforcing the bed of our old stakebody truck. Its a 2000 F550 with a 12' dump bed and lift gate. They build these Liberty beds out of some thin metal. The rear edge of it had been repaired locally years ago and it was now rotting out down the sides. Not wanting to waste too much time or money on this bed I plated over the bad with some 1/2"x3" on the top edge and 1/4"x3" on the sides. I know that seems overkill and your right, STFU. I wanted to do more but got vetoed. I have one side done and will do the other side this week along with new rear brakes. I'm kinda excited to put it on my 12k lift. Up until now my diesel was the heaviest I've lifted at just under 8k. This sits about 10,500 lbs empty. I'll post a couple pictures shortly.

Let's hear your plans for the winter.

• Get all the projects I didn't get done over Summer and Autumn written down again on a list... no chance I'm actually going to do them in this kind of weather!
    :roflmao:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I've been working on an 8.8 for my TJ. As it sits right now, all the new brackets are on, need to do brake lines. The biggest thing holding me up on this project is funds for a locker and gears. Also been working on framing interior walls in my pole building.

• Staying warm.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Rebuilding the TJ this winter at astape house.
    new suspension 1.25" CA Joints + Arms
    Full Hydro PSC Steering
    14" ORI Struts
    5.1 Atlas tcase
    Trusses
    Brackets
    Possible trans swap to auto
    Rear 14Bolt shave
    D60 Drive flanges
    cutting, moving, adding

• maybe get a new softtop (hoping to get another year out of it)

Newcastle upholstery in Newport does a great job patching tops.. They will re-sew seams, zippers , etc , pretty cheap too,

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Newcastle upholstery in Newport does a great job patching tops.. They will re-sew seams, zippers , etc , pretty cheap too,

If it was just one thing I might consider that but it's pretty much everything. Scratched windows, zippers suck, plastic pieces that go in the door frame are bent and difficult to insert. I pretty much don't take care of it at all and the fact that it's lasted 7-8 years is nothing short of a miracle.

• If it was just one thing I might consider that but it's pretty much everything. Scratched windows, zippers suck, plastic pieces that go in the door frame are bent and difficult to insert. I pretty much don't take care of it at all and the fact that it's lasted 7-8 years is nothing short of a miracle.

I hear you, Mine was like that , and for $75 I'm on a second year. Whats amazing is I have had the same Kayline soft to for about 16-17 years now. I found the company that bought the rights to these tops and they are making them. Probably buy one this year some time.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• If it was just one thing I might consider that but it's pretty much everything. Scratched windows, zippers suck, plastic pieces that go in the door frame are bent and difficult to insert. I pretty much don't take care of it at all and the fact that it's lasted 7-8 years is nothing short of a miracle.

Duct tape across the windshield channel got me through 1 winter. Started failing again this fall so I tried a 2nd layer. But I figured I was REALLY pushing it at that point so I got one for Christmas.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I want to link the rear of mine. Really I need to get the gears for the front (already have them for the rear) and install. It can keep up then.

• I want to link the rear of mine. Really I need to get the gears for the front (already have them for the rear) and install. It can keep up then.

You have a nice garage and lift to do it now! I'm planning on end of this month beginning of Feb to be in Aaron's garage. Not sure if I'll need to regear yet with 5.38 gears and a 5.1 t-case...

• Pictures as promised

Here's the bed rails before I started.

I notched some 1/2"x3" bar stock around the stake pockets with my plasma cutter. Looks really good for doing it all free hand.

Then I welded it on and added some 1/4"x3" along the side. Its fully welded along the top and stitched across the bottom. The stake sides fit in perfect and the locks even engage. I thought I was going to have to move the bottom slat up half an inch to account for the extra material.

I wanted to strip the plywood and remove the outer wood planks under it so I could add some angle down to the crossmembers but my Step Dad didn't want to waste the time. I only see this truck being used another few years. Maybe before he sells it I will add the angle to help with resale. It only has 94k miles on it. A set of ramps and I could put my jeep in the bed and tow another.....hmmm.

• You have a nice garage and lift to do it now! I'm planning on end of this month beginning of Feb to be in Aaron's garage. Not sure if I'll need to regear yet with 5.38 gears and a 5.1 t-case...

If you and Giggles don't trade gears I need a set of reverse rotation 5.38 gears for the front of mine!

• My winter goals are A) learning to weld, 2) learning to wire, and
    D) learning to rebuild a differential... during that time ill be taking
    apart Gracie with the hopes of having her ready for paint come
    March. With those three things accomplished i should have at
    least one jeep back on the road by fall...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!