Dual Steering Stabilizer Recommendation?

• Anyone have a dual stabilizer installed? Any difference between Rough Country and Skyjacker? Would appreciate any insight on the relative reputation of those two.

I have a 2.5" lift and 35s on a 2012 JKU. I have been experiencing some shimmy at 40mph or so. Everything is as tight as I can make it and the wheels were recently rebalanced, but the shimmy keeps creeping back when a wheel hits a little bump. Currently have an OME high clearance stabilizer but I am thinking it is not quite up to the job and want to give a dual setup a try.

• What he said ^. If everything is tight you shouldn't even need a stabilizer.

You have play in the front somewhere. Common problems with Jk's are egged out holes in the track bar brackets, bad trackbar bushings, and bad ball joints.

• I havent seen a jk even with a small lift that hasnt benifited from a high steer, rie rod flip kit. Its a little pricey but will improve the steering a lot.

• Agreed, skip the dual. My JK has had shimmy in various levels of severity (including death wobble after a tire rotation) since it was brand new. I haven't been able to find anything lose, but a single Fox stabilizer is keeping it under control. A high steer kit is in the long term plans, but for now it's not high on the list.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I have to agree with the guys, the dual steering stabilizer is an attempt to fix the symptom, not the cause.

assuming the JK steering is the same as the TJ, are your track bar and drag link parallel? even if everything is tight, if they are not parallel, you can get bump steer

• I have to agree with the guys, the dual steering stabilizer is an attempt to fix the symptom, not the cause.

assuming the JK steering is the same as the TJ, are your track bar and drag link parallel? even if everything is tight, if they are not parallel, you can get bump steer

The TJ uses an inverted T type where the drag link connects to the tie rod. If you try to correct the track bar angle with a drop bracket, you need a drop pitman arm to correct the angle. You are very correct that they need to be parallel.

The JK uses a full crossover and the geometry is good as long as you relocate the track bar and/or flip one side of the tie rod if you lift it.

I'm on my phone and probably missed the point but I did see this is about dual stabilizers. I will say just fix the problem and don't throw stabilizers at it. You will be much better off not letting a problem grow larger than masking it and having it bite you in the ass later.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!