upper chesapeake fish report

• Finally got out in my dads Jon boat on Wednesday, fished the area where the Elk and canal intersect. Had rough water due to 25 knot winds (took an occasional wave over the bow) lasted about two hours and caught 5 catfish up to 10lbs and a nice 25" striper. Had three other stripers that were pushing 40" to the boat but lost them due to rough water. Looks like the striper bite is on, I'll be back out there tomorrow :fishing:

• Haven't been out there in years. My parents used to keep their boat at Titan Marina. Not sure what it's called now.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Yeah that's it. Been longer than I thought

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• They are hitting cut bunker, frozen worked better than fresh ?? one ounce weight on a fish finder rig . Best action was at slack between high going into low tide. And yea that marina is Triton and its still there... we keep the Jon boat on the water at boat warehouse also known as Harbor North Marina.

• Do you get concerned fishing for stripers in an area that is supposed to be a closed fishery?

I'm paranoid but have had some pictures of striper in Maryland sent to me these past couple weeks. One of which as right off the bank in the area you are talking about and another from Deer Creek in the Susquehanna. The Maryland striper fisheries map says both those areas were catch and release until the end of February and are currently supposed to be closed until June. I looked that up when I got a picture Monday from the bank of the Elk river. This paranoia and changing rules is the main reason I've never fished for stripers. I have also been stopped/hassled several times bass fishing on the Sasfrass. The DNR always makes a beeline towards me when they see an out of state registered boat. This fact has also made me more paranoid in Maryland.

• I personally never keep anything but I predominately fish for largemouth. That being said I catch the hell out of stripers some days both in the Sass and the susky. What can you do? I've considered tossing one or two in the livewell in the past but like you said the rules are real goofy. Certain times of year if you catch one you are supposed to leave the area and stop catching them. Screw that, if I'm catching anything I tend to stay put.... Stripers on light tackle is a god time. Then there are specific areas that are off limits at specific times and some places, up in the susky, north of the 95 bridge have slot limits and length requirements. It really is a convoluted mess shit show. I'm sticking to the green and the brown fish...purposely anyway.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• No, no concerns as they are considered by catch as we are bottom fishing using all of the legal equipment, pretty much the proper circle hook. We are not "targeting" stripers by throwing plugs and jigs. We have fished the area for over 15 years and have seen and talked to DNR officers while actively fishing and never had an issue. Obviously all stripers are released. My dad caught a 40 pounder here, we took measurements and a few pics and released her successfully, he had a fiberglass replica made of the fish and it came out great..

• Stripers action is hot on the Susky Flats, a buddy got into them yesterday, three inch Tony Asceta spoon with yellow feathers using an aggressive retrieve...... he released over 25 fish up to 38" :fishing:I know where I will be this weekend..... :mrgreen:

• Stripers action is hot on the Susky Flats, a buddy got into them yesterday, three inch Tony Asceta spoon with yellow feathers using an aggressive retrieve...... he released over 25 fish up to 38" :fishing:I know where I will be this weekend..... :mrgreen:

I was out on the susky yesterday bass fishing. Wind was ignorant, the flats had white caps.....

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• I was out on the susky yesterday bass fishing. Wind was ignorant, the flats had white caps.....

They were in a 23'center console, stripers were piled up off of boy scout beach down towards Turkey Point. I'll be up the Elk on Sunday, I got pretty reliable reports of stripers, yellow and white perch and of course the big channel cats at the Elk/Canal split

• They were in a 23'center console, stripers were piled up off of boy scout beach down towards Turkey Point. I'll be up the Elk on Sunday, I got pretty reliable reports of stripers, yellow and white perch and of course the big channel cats at the Elk/Canal split

If you expect to use fresh bunker pick it up tomorrow. We tried three bait stores last Sunday and no fresh bunker to be found. Also the main bait store I go to doesn't get bunker in on Sunday's and I assume that's the norm.

This happened to us last year too on a couple occasions. If you want fresh bunker for Sunday it's in your best interest to pick it up Saturday.

• If you expect to use fresh bunker pick it up tomorrow. We tried three bait stores last Sunday and no fresh bunker to be found. Also the main bait store I go to doesn't get bunker in on Sunday's and I assume that's the norm.

This happened to us last year too on a couple occasions. If you want fresh bunker for Sunday it's in your best interest to pick it up Saturday.

We hardly ever use bunker, we catch white perch and use whole fillets, occasionally live lining them too....striper candy....

• Fished today, Elk River/canal split, landed 5 stripers up to 33".... Also caught 6 big cats up to 16lbs. and plenty of white perch. Lost several large fish not sure what they were.....

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!