First time mods

• 2012 JKU, all stock, 3.21 gears

so after much debate here is where I am with my daily driver.....

adding duratrac 33s, 17" fuel vapor wheels, and 2.5 teraflex lift w/springs (was going rough country but read too many bad reviews).

anyone around the MOT/Smyrna area running anything close to this? want to see one in person and maybe test drive to see how the 3.21 runs with 33s.

• you don't really need any lift at all for 33's.

True, but it certainly helps with the appearance of a 4 door.

Sorry, can't help you, I've got 35" mud tires and 3.73s. Probably close, though. For daily driving, you shouldn't really notice much of a difference if you have 32" tires now (255/75/17). If you keep track of your gas mileage, you'll notice a small decrease due to the extra width of the tire giving more rolling resistance, but for driveability, it shouldn't be much. If you have the smaller 30" tires (225/something) then you might see more of a difference, but nothing horrible. The 3.6L motor in your 2012 has tons of power and will compensate nicely.

Great choice on the tires and lift, those tires have great mileage life and snow/sand traction. I'd expect close to 50K miles if you rotate them regularly.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I don't love the look of a JKU with 33s and no lift. Looks a little like the tires are stuffed into the wheel wells. I don't have the smaller stock tires so I think you are right about how noticeable the change will be.

Thanks guys for the advice and input. The jeep world and culture is so inviting helpful. That has made some of these decisions easier.

• Whatevah...how do you like those headlights? Lights and bumpers are prob the second phase of my build.

They're awesome! Probably the best set of lights you can get for a Jeep. JW Speakers are better in some aspects, not as good in others, but not worth the extra cost unless you want the cool aesthetics. The Trucklight versions are a few steps behind in terms of beam quality, although a touch brighter. The Quadratec LED headlights look pretty similar to stock at a glance, but the beam pattern is far better and much brighter. One example I give is while on I-70 in Kansas at night in 2013, I was using my bright HID offroad lights to be able to see at a safe distance. The next trip, I had the LED headlights and found that just the high beams were enough! Here are beam pattern comparison shots: https://www.delawareja.com/for…39996.msg327992#msg327992 As you can tell, the beam has a great pattern and NO glare, unlike almost all of the cheap headlights flooding the market (this includes LED replacement-type bulbs).

I've worked at Quadratec a few times, I'd get people calling in to order some KC offroad lights or the Quadratec LED offroad lights and I'd try to steer them toward headlights if they were looking for lights that they could actually use. A lot of folks will buy some nice (or just nice looking) offroad lights without thinking that they can't use them on the road and are mostly just for decoration.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• The 2012+ have a pretty good auto trans cooler (they learned from the 07-11 fires), mine has held up just fine towing a 1500lb trailer cross-country and offroad.

Jerry / Whatevah

• now the decision is tires.....on the table....
    MT deegan 38
    MT ATZ and MTZ (now not even sure if the muds will be too loud or not)
    Cooper discoverer att pro
    Dick Cepek Fun country or extreme country
    Fuel gripper m/t

anyone with any of these? how is road noise? anyone willing to let a guy hear them in person?

• I have the MTZs, they're not loud, but I can hear them humming with the windows closed. I couldn't hear the BFG KM2s that these replaced.

Jerry / Whatevah

• x2 on the MTZs... I'm running them on my YJ as well and I don't think they're loud. I have full soft doors and a soft top and they're not loud enough to annoy me at all. I usually don't even notice them unless I'm actually listening for them. :up: :up:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• Wait till they wear down a little, they will get louder. I have the mtz on the street jeep and cant stand them. Im just dont want to spend the money on new tires for a jeep that i put 1500mi a year on.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!