CJ Flat fender options

• Ok, in the market for front flatties with 3-4"flairs…

1. Smittybuilt. XRC, Pro Cheap, pre finished look good Cons: bad quality welds, powder coating and rust issues. Thin metal.

2. Poison Spider, Pro: good quality, and looks. Cons: pricey and unfinished.

3. Genright. Pro: good quality, and looks. Cons: pricey and unfinished

4. Kits, u-weld . pros: Cheap, cons, require lots of fab work.

The PSC and Genrights are close in price. I am leaning towards the Genrights with the 4 " flair. Both are more than I want to spend.

Thoughts?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• They do look good, at $225. but $160 shipping? Hell I could fly to oklahoma and back for that. Plus , when you add +$165 the 4.5" flair, comes to $550 + welding. So its about Genright's prices assembled. . Perhaps they would negotiate.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• I have the 4" GenRights. I've been happy with them, but I did bend one of them that day on Otters. Note that they don't give you any more room behind the wheel. With the shackle reversal, I'm always rubbing and the bump stops don't help back there. The Metalcloaks have their own inner fenders and open up the back as well as the top, but they are really pricey.

• Yeah, meatalcloaks are nice but way out of range.

• I'm a big fan of flat fenders. Real flat. Those kits sound pricey to me too, but I respect that they've done a lot of work to design and produce that stuff. Tubing and sheetmetal are cheap and plentiful, and for me, anyway, the making of the thing is a lot of the fun of it.
    I made mine with bolted on fender panels so there really wasn't a ton of welding. I can change them out for smaller or no sheetmetal at all. I used some 1/8" poly sheet for the fender well, screwed on with the old self drillers!

• I have the 4" GenRights. I've been happy with them, but I did bend one of them that day on Otters. Note that they don't give you any more room behind the wheel.

If I were to go with flat fenders I'd look for something with room behind the wheel well as well, like WILLYN had done. But if it's a kit that you have to weld up you should be able to weld it up as you like.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Got the wife on board for the Genrights. I an perfectly happy with pre buit. !

So checking pricing...

1) Genright's 4" inch flair G3 for $540 from Q-Tech with free shipping after 10% discount..

2) Genright 6" Flair flair G3 for $499 direct from Genright with free shipping. (4" Flair is $599 there)

Not sure if going 6" is too much flair, but with Scout Dana 44s and 35s , Im sure 6" flairs would cover well, but be more vulnerable off road., 4" would be better protected , but I may need to extend a bit of coverage to pass inspection.

Thoughts?

• Not sure if going 6" is too much flair, but with Scout Dana 44s and 35s , Im sure 6" flairs would cover well, but be more vulnerable off road., 4" would be better protected , but I may need to extend a bit of coverage to pass inspection.

Thoughts?

What rim width are you running? Not sure how wide my Bushwhacker flares are but they cover my 33 x 12 on 8" wide rims perfectly. The 10" wide rims were fine but they did stick out a touch. Not sure if your Scout axles are the same width as my Wagoneer axles.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• John, running 10" rims, did a quick measure and the 6" should work the best ,

I Ordered direct from Genright, $499 and bagged free shipping, same set from from Q-Tech is $659.99. Can't wait for UPS!

Edited once, last by deadfeat ().

• Those genrights look really nice. Seems like a good price for that much product. The vent is awesome for cooling too. The compound curves look pretty slick. It seems like half of any jeep build is waiting for UPS!

• Thanks, JMack
    I'd love to learn to weld too, I'm tired of grinding! The tubes in the pictures had to be cut apart and rewelded because the bends didn't happen like I wanted. I'm not really that good, just persistent!

• Thanks, JMack
    I'd love to learn to weld too, I'm tired of grinding! The tubes in the pictures had to be cut apart and rewelded because the bends didn't happen like I wanted. I'm not really that good, just persistent!

What type of bender did you use to build them?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

• I have a JD2 model 3. So far I've got dies for 1-3/4", 1-1/2", and 1". It works pretty good, but it may take me a while before I'm any good with multiple bends on different angles.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!