Funny thing happened on the way to the gym...

• Driving to the gym and the steering began feelign stiff. Looked at the volt meter and saw it was down at 10 V telling my hunch was right, I spun the belt (which I just put on). :cuss: Decide to get it back to the house while I can. Fighting non-powered power stearing is a real PIA. Well, coming out of the u-turn I find that I lost drive momentum. :run: Didn't pop out of gear, t-case was in gear. WTF.... Got it to the shoulder to figure it out. Put it in gear with the motor running, jumped out of the Jeep and the drive shaft wasn't spinning. :spinrhead: :doh:

I thought maybe the trans shifting lever poppe out of the groove for some reason but when I tried shifting it I could feel and hear it engaging.
    So I had to get the truck and flat tow it home.

I'm hoping it's something simple. I'm thinking the t-case which isn't too bad to rebuild. I think I have all the spare parts actually. First thing will be to pull the inspection plate off the t-case to see if the bull gear is turning. :bang:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Nope.. that blew up a few years ago

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Not sure that would have helped anyway

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Bull gear nut spun off letting the gear fall off the input shaft. I have to get a new nut.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Yeah pretty much.

I found a source on-line but am holding my breath to see if it comes in or if it will be on back order forever.

May have to pull some favors at work to see if I can get one made. It's a 7/8-16, thin nyloc nut. Why the hell they couldn't just go with a standard thread I will never know. EVERYONE HAS TO BE DIFFERENT.

I may try cross drilling the output shaft and cotter pinning it. I'd rather fix it the right way though.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I've got spares here if you need it fast. They're nylock type, brand new. That's the third incidence I've heard of in the last few months. Two different guys on Pirate lost their nuts within about a week of each other. I think they used to use a castle nut and a cotter pin and they didn't come off as much.

• Sure I'll take one. Let me know where to pick it up and when.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• How about tomorrow around 4ish?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Sounds good, just give me a shout. I'm heavily into that red cj7 at the moment, I will be out there all day tomorrow. I've got the transmission and transfer case out to replace main seals and such, it's lots of fun!
    And I did verify that as 7/8-16.

• So kids...what's the lesson here? Don't go to the gym.

Or the corollary… "Make sure to grab the bull only by his horns "

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• ...and not to re-use nyloc nuts.

Is that the spec? I read that it was 250 ft lbs. I have to get a new torque wrench

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• I guess you can use whatever spec you find on the internet, they do seem to be all over the place. I ended up with 180, and so far so good. That makes it roughly the same as the output yokes which I think are 175. Made sense to me because they are roughly the same size. Some people quote old service manuals and show a wider torque range, I think that is for the old castle nut deal where you would start at the minimum and go more until the holes line up.
    New torque wrench, hmmm. Does anybody have a craftsman with the little window and a rubber handle? The rubber handle moves and it's easy to lose your zero. Mine and some friends all have that problem. We ended up with an electronic torque wrench tester for about fifty bucks. You chuck the thing in a vise and apply torque with the wrench. It gives you the high reading. I dial in my torque with this and basically disregard the reading on the wrench. It reads very consistent, if you approach peak torque very slowly the reading ends up within a pound or two for three or so pulls. Beats taking it to sears to send out for recalibration.
    And no, I have no way of knowing if the tester is properly calibrated! For those of you who might wonder.

• Where did you get the electronic tester? That sounds interesting

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• You're talking about the Dana 20, right? The 300 doesn't have a nut.

I had the Craftsman with the ring that you twist to set the torque. When it broke I got this "Torque Instrument" used on eBay:
    Never had it calibrated, though. And I usually just blast the yoke nuts with the impact.

• i stopped buying craftsman t-wrenches. They just dont hold up. I just bought a husky one from hd. Its an metal construction and they cover it lifetime as a hand tool. Craftsman warrenty dosent cover the t-wrenches

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!