I have a complaint.

• I have been a daily reader of the board since march when I bought my first jeep. 95 sahara. Love it! I have posted a few questions and everyone has been very helpful.

Last week I finally met a member in person, prm99v6. It was great to finally meet one of the members. Paul was very helpful. Being that my jeep is stock I am sure I asked all of the boring newbee questions about lifts and what not. He didn't seem to mind and was happy to answer all my questions. He even offered to help when I am ready to do the lift.

Finding Deja has been great. One of these days I hope to make it to a meeting and a trail ride.

• I figured this was an isolated incedent.

Like I said, we can't be chipper and perky every day.

AND YES BBD, I CAN BE CHIPPER AND PERKY!!!! :rasp:

:laughing:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "jeepartie"

It may not be the person at all. People get sick of answering the SAME questions everytime they stop at wawa to get something to drink.

You don't want attention? - buy a liberty.

Some of the guys in the viper club have that very same complaint; "every time I stop someone has to ask what the speakers in the hood are for..." blah, blah, blah... Hell, I consider it a good week if I don't hear it once. But my response to them is simple - go buy a mustang, no one will ever bother you again.

My only (car guy) pet peeve is with this kind of attitude. You go out an buy a car that's different from the mainstay, then you mod it out to make even that much more unique, then you drive it to wawa and get uptight when people ask you questions about it. WTF? If you're not after attention and individulaity then why even bother to put bigger tires, bigger motor, winch, ect... in the first place?

When I buy my 'rare' vehicles I do it with the knowledge that every single time I pull up to a stoplight someone is going to ask me a stupid question. If no one does, then I consider it a perk. I accept that because that's why I bought the car in the first place - to be unique from the buick crowd.

My oath as a jeep owner is to promote jeep ownership, even if I have to repeat myself on occation.

• Quote from "Bonkers"

You don't want attention? - buy a liberty.

Funny, at Camp Jeep last year, there was a small crowd around our KJ every time we walked back to it. Same thing happened while we were in line for TRAIL RIDES. There are Jeep parts vendors right now that have our Liberty on their sites under customers' rigs. Taking the KJ to Paragon and Rausch Creek gets also attention (and that's on the trails, not in the parking lot). It isn't the vehicle, it is doing, or not doing, something to it to make it special.

It is more fairly, "don't want attention, then don't draw attention to yourself". The people that ask you the "stupid" questions probably think they're paying you a compliment by asking. If I had a Hyundai GT, I guess I think I'd be trying to compliment you. I'm not sure because I have two very distinctive Jeeps.

I promise that if you park a stock Wrangler in some non-descript color and stock 28" tires on steelies next to my Libby, you won't get much attention either. Not that there's anything wrong with that Jeep, it is just not as obvious as a modified vehicle.

Isn't is really easier to just respond in the spirit in which the question was likely intended and move on than to think up a smart ass answer and get an attitude? God knows I LOVE a good smart ass answer, but sometimes it just isn't necessary.

Sometimes, try the path of least resistance.

• I don't mind asking or answering questions. It is the stupid questions that get tedious.

Question- "What lift are you running?"

stupid question- "what kind of tires are those, 33's?"

Question-"where do you go off-road?"

stupid question-"What kind of winch is that?"

I don't mind answering questions, even the "bling" ones everyone frowns on. but, if it says it on the sidewall, everywhere on the product, If its 10pm on a friday nite after 12 hrs of work, then expect an answer you won't like.

If it is a bonafide question that the answer isn't all over the part in question, or if it is about the lifestyle, ask away and I will happily answer it to the best of my ability.

just my thoughts on the matter.

• I think the key factor in this incident was that he was on the cell phone when someone asked. I know I get annoyed when the kids want to talk to me when I'm on the phone. :rolleyes: At my house, if you want attention and be the most popular person in the world, GET ON THE PHONE!. :updown:

Asking the simple questions is also an ice breaker to start a conversation with someone you don't know. Like I said, we all have times when we don't want to talk to someone or we may NOT want attention at THAT particular time. I get stopped in parking lots occasionally by people who want to check out Slimer and what not. I find it flattering. Believe it or not, no one comments about the color.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "Slimer"

I get stopped in parking lots occasionally by people who want to check out Slimer and what not. I find it flattering. Believe it or not, no one comments about the color.

Thats because thier eyes are bleeding!!! :suspicious:

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Quote from "Bonkers"

WTF? If you're not after attention and individulaity then why even bother to put bigger tires, bigger motor, winch, ect... in the first place?

Maybe because some of us modded our vehicles in an attempt to make them perform better and not for "attention and individuality"...exactly the same reason I don't give a crap about my crunched windshield frame, the multitude of dents, or the scrapes and gouges out of my flares and rocker guards.

That being said I will usually always respond when questioned about something on my Jeep but like everyone I have my off days. Now do I go up to other Jeepers and strike up conversation? No, not usually...that's just how I am. Could this be mistaken as being too good for them? Yup. Do I care? Nope.

--Ian

• I typically don't go up to others either. But that falls true whether they are driving a Jeep or not. I'm just not that "outgoing" I guess.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• [quote="clendaniel Now do I go up to other Jeepers and strike up conversation? No, not usually...that's just how I am. Could this be mistaken as being too good for them? Yup. Do I care? Nope.

--Ian[/quote]

What a stud.!. :sad:

• [quote="clendaniel Now do I go up to other Jeepers and strike up conversation? No, not usually...that's just how I am. Could this be mistaken as being too good for them? Yup. Do I care? Nope.

--Ian[/quote]

What a stud.!. :sad:

• Excuse me? All I was saying was that I tend to not be the outgoing type, especially in the outlined gas station situation and that I am not going to lose sleep over someone that misconstrues my actions and thinks that I am slighting them. And for that you make the above post...sounds to me like _you_ are the pr*ck.

--Ian

• As much as we pick on Andrew here at DeJA South, I have to say that if it hadn't been for his friendly and helpful answers to my SFQ's, I never would have joined DeJA. I had seen his Rubicon with the DeJA website banner all over the place and when I saw him in WaWa (where else?) he was super nice and an extremely good ambassador for the Association.
    :updown:

Frankly, I kinda enjoy the looks and attention I get at stoplights and parking lots, and my Jeep is basically stock right now. (Of course that's prbly 'cos nobody ever paid attention to me for anything ever before. :lol: ) I don't mind answering questions, that's how I learn more myself.

Just my $.02 :shrug:

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• Quote from "clendaniel"

That being said I will usually always respond when questioned about something on my Jeep but like everyone I have my off days. Now do I go up to other Jeepers and strike up conversation? No, not usually...that's just how I am. Could this be mistaken as being too good for them? Yup. Do I care? Nope.

--Ian

I ran into Ian at... you guessed it, a gas station, and asked about different things he'd done to his Jeep. He was friendly and polite. I don't think I asked any "stupid" questions and if I did he refrained from verbally bitchslapping me. :D

I completely agree with what Ian has stated, most of the modded crew have done the modifications with performance in mind, not "shock and awe". But at the same time most of them are also tolerant of the "newbie" questions to a point.

Just keep in mind it isn't always what you ask, but how you ask it and when.

As far as the interrupting a phone call to ask a question, be it a "stupid" one or not.... It is just plain bad manners to interrupt someone while they are busy with something else.

I for one have done some mods to my Jeep that are purely cosmetic. I enjoy driving vehicles that "stand out" and the attention I get driving them. I have answered all kinds of "stupid" questions... I just keep in mind that a lot of people do not know much about particular mods or vehicles.

You think you get a lot of attention in a modded Jeep? Try driving a vintage VW Bug! I quite literally can not drive the '59 ANYWHERE with out at least 1 person coming up to me. Almost everyone over 30 either had one, their parents had one, or they just have a story about one to tell. And thats before I tell them its 46 years old.

I love it! But its not for everyone.

• I have to say my first experience with the club was at the Toy Run 2 years ago and my wife and I knew Paul but no one else. It was hard to break into conversations with people I had never meant before but usually all you have to do is say you like something on their jeep and they will gladly start a converstation. I then knew nothing about jeeps and the conversations did not last long because we didn't have that much in common. Anyway what I'm trying to say is that after coming to a couple of meetings and getting to know people there and on the trails I would say 90% of the people in this club are in it for the fun and the people. I have never had anyone in this club snub me off and although not every one in the club likes everyone I would say we have a very close knit group that is very open to letting in knew members and treating them with respect. I think without a doubt that this is one of the best clubs around and if you ever need anything done or just need a hand someone is always available.

My $.02 :peace:

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Quote from "BDLSTOY"

I think without a doubt that this is one of the best clubs around and if you ever need anything done or just need a hand someone is always available.

My $.02 :peace:

:cry: our little baby is all 'growed up! :cry:

It is really amazing how this club has progressed, and in such a short time! And really, we owe it to Quadratec... Without their BB this may never have happened!

• Brian

I know somewhere along the line I asked you not to let people know you found out about the club from me. Nice work. :folded:

:spinrhead:

• even my stock XJ gets some nice looks. well, I think the paint color might have a little something to do with that. :D

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• You missed the point. This is not somthing that happened on the street This has happened at our events. I talk to a lot of Jeep owners that I meet. There has been 6 people that have gotten back to me about how they were received by our membership At meetings and events. Out of the 6 only 1 has stayed as a member but he even had a problem in the beginning. With some talking he stuck it out and found out what the DeJA is all about. But I have herd from 5 of these people that said and I quote "What a bunch of A#% Holes". It is just a few members that come off that way. I get along fine with them and have no problem and never have a problem with them. That is why I am not going to say who. Each member should look at there self. 99% of our members will not see a thing.

• My pappy said, "if you don't know who the ***hole in your family is, it is probably you". And since I can't think of anything anyone has said at a recent meeting (and I've been to them all) that would make someone go back to Tug and complain... it must have been me who said something!

Whoever you are...COME BACK!!! We mean well, we just like to jaw! We'd all help out any other member regardless of how we talk to each other here or at the meetings, that's the fun part!

...and if I personally ignored you, it was only because you were between me and a beer. So, if you were BUYING beers, I know I'd be your friend!

DrJ

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!