Big Dogs Spring Fling - June 5-7

• With input from some of the active wheelers, I'm making a couple Big Dogs events official DEJA trail rides. The first is their Spring Fling run. You can pre-register on their website. http://www.bigdogsoffroad.com/?q=node/15 The event fees are $78/person for the weekend and $35 if you wish to camp. More info will be posted after Big Dogs updates their site (link above).

Yes, this is the same weekend as GWNF, but I don't believe the people who went last year went to GWNF. You get to camp at either place. :shrug: If you're up in the air about which to goto, pick GWNF. It's a bit more hustic (redneck?) at Big Dogs, the trails are a lot harder too.

Some info and pics from the run last year: http://www.delawareja.com/forum/index.php?topic=20208.15

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Edited once, last by whatevah ().

• well, i was originally intending to go to this one. but now i'm not sure whether to do this or GWNF. :shrug:

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• A few of the people that went to Big Dogs last year left and came to GWNF.

Yes. I think it was Naughty and Blackflag. But DO NOT use that as a judge because they were only there for an hour or so (at night) and never actually saw the rest of the campground. It really is a pretty nice campground with lakes, beaches, showers, etc. CLICK HERE and go to the link for the Cove campground. You'll see.
    I'll post up more details when I get a minute but ask anyone who has stayed there...it's a good time camping and amazing wheeling.

• Yes. I think it was Naughty and Blackflag. But DO NOT use that as a judge because they were only there for an hour or so (at night) and never actually saw the rest of the campground.

i'd like to hear a first-hand account from anyone who has actually camped and wheeled at both places, a fair comparison from someone who has experienced both.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• It really is a pretty nice campground with lakes, beaches, showers, etc. CLICK HERE and go to the link for the Cove campground. You'll see.
    I'll post up more details when I get a minute but ask anyone who has stayed there...it's a good time camping and amazing wheeling.

what he said. it's a VERY nice campground and great wheeling. their website does not do them justice.

~ JD

• i'd like to hear a first-hand account from anyone who has actually camped and wheeled at both places, a fair comparison from someone who has experienced both.

Well, I've never been to Big Dogs but have been to GWNF plenty.

Depending on possible forthcoming road closures, there may be a lot less wheeling at GW this year than past.

• some areas of bigdogs is alittle more uneven ( camp sites ) but if you prepare there's no problem.

naughty did not like the camping location or the rustic area that we were camping in she also didn't care for the insects that harassed her. I decided to leave and go with her to GWNF. I can only tell you doing black trails at night and going the wrong way was someting you'll always remember. LOL...... but thats another story.

• If bigdogs was open all year long you would see me less at RC. Take advantage of the BD events, its only open couple times a year.
    If GWNF is around anytime we may look at changing it :shrug: Ive never been on a GWNF ride but if its going to be going on the same time as BD every year, I may never get to go :suspicious:

• Just wondering which Big dogs event most the guys i wheel with at rc are doing?I will definitly do one.Spring fling or main event?

Wayne

If my Jeep is still up and running I will try to do the fling and the main event 8)

• Also for people that dont know, big dogs events doesnt let you make your own groups. They have their own trail guides so basically you line up with Jeeps that are in your ballpark. Tire size,lockers and so on. Just a heads up :up:

• If GWNF is around anytime we may look at changing it :shrug: Ive never been on a GWNF ride but if its going to be going on the same time as BD every year, I may never get to go :suspicious:

x2

~ JD

• I'm thinking about making this one. I saw on the registration form that trails 8 thru 9 and up require a winch, do they enforce that.

Randy

'88 YJ, 4" suspension, 2"body lift, 456 locked F & R, 35-12.50-15 BFG KM2s on Cragar Soft 8's
    &'03 KJ, 2"+ shackle lift, armor, BBs, 245-70-16 BFG A/T TAs

• I think the last time we went we did 6-7 and had some great wheeling. If you jump in line with the 9-10 group your Jeep will look funny being that it will be half the size as the others ;D seriously your fine Randy, I think the rules are like guide lines.

• I'm thinking about making this one. I saw on the registration form that trails 8 thru 9 and up require a winch, do they enforce that.

those 'vehicle requirements' are not enforced by any means. far from it. when i completed the registration form the first year i went there, i worried about whether i was choosing the right trails. don't worry. they are just guidelines.

also, don't be deceived by descriptions such as 'Intermediate to advanced intermediate'. those descriptions are somewhat conservative. they have different perspectives on trail difficulties than you and i are accustomed to at RC. you'd be surprised at how much fun you can have on the 5-6-7 rides. there is a lot of carnage happening on the 8-9-10 levels.

the staging and grouping of vehicles are not quite as organized as it might appear from the registration form. actually, it's not very different from how you and i do it at RC, only on a much larger scale. everyone looks at what vehicles are there, and you gravitate toward the jeeps that you think would be a good match.

i'd love to wheel with you at Big Dogs! :driving:

~ JD

Edited once, last by altierior ().

• Thanks, I'm really going to try to make it. I'm in a fishing tournament that following weekend and have to take off work for that so I'll have to see what our work load is before I can commit.

Randy

'88 YJ, 4" suspension, 2"body lift, 456 locked F & R, 35-12.50-15 BFG KM2s on Cragar Soft 8's
    &'03 KJ, 2"+ shackle lift, armor, BBs, 245-70-16 BFG A/T TAs

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!