• Honestly whatever I have or have left over.... currently it is walmart brand 80/90 mixed with a little 75/140

imo, you should be using the very best gear oil you can get your hands on. ARBs are expensive, and high quality fluids are cheap insurance to keep it functioning smoothly and properly. the same goes for any locker. i use Mobil 1, but there's also Royal Purple, AMSoil, whatever... people will debate which is the best oil and i don't want to get into that argument. but i doubt that there are many people who will argue in favor of walmart brand or any other cheap oil for an ARB.

mixing viscosities probably isn't the best idea, either.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• I have 60K and 5 yrs on my arbs I only use the cheapest gear oil that I can find as I change it 2-6 times a year so I am not going to piss away all kinds of $$ on expensive oil when the cheap stuff has worked 100% for me... As for mixing oil viscosities, unless you are a fluids engineer I really don't think offering an opinion like that is prudent as you can mix viscosities without issue.. the only catch is the final mix is not linear but logarithmic in regards to the actual viscosity rating.. the only caveat to the mixing viscosities is with detergent and non detergent oils which from what I have read is a no-no

• i may be wrong, but i do believe that the op's ride is his dd and he doesn't have 60s or anything close to it. for a dd like his, any method of welding up gears will most likely eventually result in *grenade*

Did I recommend lincoln locking his rig?? I rather clearly said it isn't a good idea, but the post that i quoted was a blank statement stating lincoln locking is bad which in certain cases it isnt

• imo, you should be using the very best gear oil you can get your hands on. ARBs are expensive, and high quality fluids are cheap insurance to keep it functioning smoothly and properly. the same goes for any locker. i use Mobil 1, but there's also Royal Purple, AMSoil, whatever... people will debate which is the best oil and i don't want to get into that argument. but i doubt that there are many people who will argue in favor of walmart brand or any other cheap oil for an ARB.

mixing viscosities probably isn't the best idea, either.

A bit off topic ...
    Great oil INFO can be found here .

If you don't know who bnine and DoctorD are , do some research .

On topic...
    I run the factory lockers in my TJ with WalMart oil in both .

• Factory Hujiwatsa lockers in my LJ, but rarely used.

My CJ has an Aussie locker up front and an LSD in the rear. I will say that given the option to do it over, I would never do another lunchbox locker in the front. There are times where I want to be in 4wd and not locked and the damn thing just doesn't let go until you fight the wheel. It's a pita when you're on rocks and you need free steering and not chunk-a-clunk. Maybe that's just inherent to the Aussie and not others, but selectable will be the only way I will ever go again.

• Why did you pull that big gun out? That and the related threads are like a weeks worth of reading! Hahaha

Bottom line, it is all about the specifications the oil meets, not claims to meet, or the brand name on the container. Learn the specs and buy the cheapest lubricant that meets them. Oh, and decide on warranty or reliability/performance because they often conflict. Good luck! ;D

• Just to add my 2 cents about oil. I work in the Sunoco refinery in Marcus Hook. When the lube service center was still in operation, they packaged oil. The same oil that went in Wolf brand bottles went into the HD bottles. I asked the shift supvr about this & she told me I was just paying for the name. I never researched the oil to see about the ingredients.
    Thanks for the great info.

• I've been happy with my powertrax no-slip in the rear.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• no to highjack but whats the difference between the noslip and the noslip track lock
    part number 92-0435-2706 & 92-0435-2726

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• no to highjack but whats the difference between the noslip and the noslip track lock
    part number 92-0435-2706 & 92-0435-2726

DANA Model 35 27 10 Trac-Lok standard open diff is 92-0435-2706 or trak loc diff is 92-0435-2725

2726 is an old number i think

• those numbers are both for the 29 spline chry 8.25

but what is Trac-Lok are they talking about the lsd from factory?

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• those numbers are both for the 29 spline chry 8.25

but what is Trac-Lok are they talking about the lsd from factory?

yes, Jeep calls limited slip Trac-lok

• No, Trac-Lok is a Dana term...not Jeep. I have a Trac-Lok in my Scout rear 44. About 50% lock-up versus around 75% with a posi-trac. Works decent but needs a new clutch pack every 60k-75ki miles.

• ARB Front
    ARB Rear

Had to replace the front ARB when a stock shaft broke and took it out, but have since upgraded to alloy shafts. Have never had a problem with my ARB's performing and they work great since my rig is my DD.

• No, Trac-Lok is a Dana term...not Jeep. I have a Trac-Lok in my Scout rear 44. About 50% lock-up versus around 75% with a posi-trac. Works decent but needs a new clutch pack every 60k-75ki miles.

it maybe a dana term however richmond gears has a part number for both a open and lsd for the 8.25 diff and on rocky road outfitters it is refer to it as trac-lok thats why i was confused i was thinking it was some added feature on thier product instead of the carrier its being installed in. plus i did not know there was a lsd that came in the 8.25
    sorry for the high jack

• Don't worry about high jackin' this thread. All replies are noted & I'm one old dog that likes to learn new tricks.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!