100,000 miles....should've never said anything (with pics page 3!)

• It gets to the point where you have to say, Why Bother? For the time and money you'll put into it and still end up with a marginal axle, why not put the time and money into upgrading and have a stronger axle in the long run?

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Take a good look at the carrier. I'm betting it has a crack in it. When a d35 starts to fail repeatedly then it is either from a cracked carrier or bent housing. There is just not enough mass on the d35 carrier to keep it from flexing under heavy load.

aaron

• Take a good look at the carrier. I'm betting it has a crack in it. When a d35 starts to fail repeatedly then it is either from a cracked carrier or bent housing. There is just not enough mass on the d35 carrier to keep it from flexing under heavy load.

aaron

Oh but how right you are sir.

It does have a hole in it. This was what we found the last time -- the gears destroyed them selves but it appeared nothing else. Figured the carrier might be okay for a little while. I bet it's flexing now. Pretty crazy, looked like a bullet whole went through it.

So on that note, I'm looking.

Astape, I'll be PMing you.

• I'd let mine go for not much more then the buy it now. It needs brackets welded on too like I said before.

So if I buy yours I have to cut off the triangulated link, put on new brackets for the upper and lower control arms, maybe shock mounts?....and then do I have to do anything to my driveshaft? I currently have a Tom Woods driveshaft with the D35. I still have the stock one in a box....BUT i don't think that'd be necessary. And then naturally I have to regear my front end. Any idea how much that runs?

Is 4.88 gonna be to much with my automagical tranny?

• It's a bit high for 33s. 4.56 is the closest match to your stock 28" and 3.73 setup. With 33s, that ratio would equal 4.4.

It's doable, you'll lose some top speed on the highway. Tons of torque available though. :) http://jeephorizons.com/tech/rpmchart.html

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Any rear you put in other then another d35 and you may have to shorten your driveshaft. 4.88s may be a bit high for 33's like Jerry said. You can probably find an 8.8 with 3.73's in the junkyard and you wouldn't have to re gear. Just weld on brackets and fix the driveshaft.

• I run 4.88s with 33s but I have an over drive. I'd probably go 4.27 or 4.56 without an over drive.

Before you consider buying that Scout axle come look at my Wagoneer axle. I'm sure it will be wide enough. You'd have to regear, weld on brackets, and have the axles drilled for the correct bolt pattern.

If the 8.8 is the right bolt pattern, that would probably be the way to go.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• For $1800 I'd take my spare D44 off my hands for $75..

Have axle flanges redrilled for $180 (or buy new alloy axles for ~$550 like I did)
    Have Aaron weld the braketry and nonsense you'll need for coils (whatever he'll charge)
    Buy a Locker/gears/set up kit:
    Locker = ~$500
    Gears = ~ $150
    Set up kit = ~$50 to $75 ?

OR
    Buy an 8.8 for ~ $100
    Buy a Locker/gears/set up kit:
    Locker = ~$500
    Gears = ~ $150
    Set up kit = ~$50 to $75 ?

Not sure what else would have to be set up on that as far as bracketry because they're already set for coils?????

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I didn't build my 8.8 myself, but here is a price list from what I know based off of how mine was built:

8.8's I've seen used going for $150 - $350

If you want to keep 3.73s, then that's great because you can find them in stock form with 3.73s.

Mine was built with the M.O.R.E bracket kit - all of the brackets have to be completely redone as 8.8s are setup to be leaf sprung. Bracket kit from M.O.R.E. is $329.99 but other manufacturers have them cheaper from what I understand. You would need to research brackets.

The only other thing you would need is the e-brake cables since the 8.8 uses a different kit. M.O.R.E. has these cables for $123.00, but I think you can use ZJ ones. I'm not sure on that though.

M.O.R.E. also sells the yoke you need to change to in order to run a TJ driveshaft. It's $40, but again I believe this part can be found cheaper.

In addition to all that, my axle was regeared to 4.88s, had new brake setups installed, and has a Rockcrusher cover. You may also need a shorter driveshaft as the 8.8 has a longer pinion than the D35.

So basically to set up the 8.8 assuming you find one with 3.73s for $350 and use all M.O.R.E. 8.8 products, you are looking at around $850 or so not including labor. I was lucky and got mine for $790 off of eBay ready to bolt in. Either way, if I had to do it all over again and built the axle myself I'd still go with an 8.8. Good luck!

Oh and: http://eastcoastgearsupply.com…-bolt-in-tj-assembly.html

I personally think that is really pricey, but to each their own. I just figured it might be something that you would be interested in. :)

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

Edited once, last by Diablo ().

• I really don't desire to keep the 3.73s. I'd love to go 4.56.

I've found a D44 with 3.73's a few hours away, that came out of a 04 TJ. It only had 50K original miles on it before it was taken out. Open diff.

It probably would be in my best interest to buy this one, its got the gears i need and I imagine I'd have to get my driveshaft shortened.

This way I don't have to un-bolt both axles and get them someplace to be re-geared, then re-bolt them both in. I can get them re-geared and I maybe can even put a locker in it later down the line.

I'm still looking at possibilities, but this is a serious one.

• I really don't desire to keep the 3.73s. I'd love to go 4.56.

Then go for it. I don't know what your financial situation is, but if you can't afford it then :beer: .

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• Mine seems the same (mpg wise), but I don't drive the Jeep nearly enough to notice it. I'm overgeared at 4.88. I should be running 35" tires, but I'm on 33s!

What I notice now is just more power. I don't miss my 3.07s at all.

Edited once, last by Diablo ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!