Mods that worked, and those that didn't

• Looking at the "what have you done to your Jeep today" thread got me thinking... we all spend way too much money customizing our Jeeps to our own needs, often by trial and error. Since hindsight is usually 20/20, how about posting some personal comments on mods that you've done and enjoyed or regretted?

To start the thread off...

Mods that have worked well for me...
    -IPF and Hella headlight housing upgrades. Makes it a LOT easier to see at night
    -Rear locker. Overall positive on this, a great traction boost especially for punching through the unplowed sections of the road when only the left or ride side of the Jeep is on a plowed surface. The torque-steer isn't too bad and you get used to it quickly
    -Rock rails. Saved a lot of body damage and makes it a little easier to get in and out of the Jeep when it's muddy (or stuck in the mud). Just wish I'd gotten them sooner!

Didn't work out like I hoped...
    -Silverstar sealed beam headlights. Better (a little) than the stock Wagner headlights, but not worth the money when Hella housings weren't much more expensive and reusable!
    -7" lift kit. Just way too tall for a small vehicle like a Jeep. Very tippy when the trail starts getting off-camber. I'm going to flop it one day.
    -Banks exhaust header. This isn't really a "regret" item, but it's not worth the money if you bought it for a power upgrade. I got it because my stock manifold was cracked and it comes with a lifetime warranty, which has already been used once.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• dual rate front sway bar. after a week, I "customized" it so it is now a single rate

What brand?

Bad mods for me:
    Skid Row Radiator Skid - Useless
    Brake light cages - I backed into a tree and crushed my whole tub in. Saved the $10 brake lens though. :doh:

EDIT: Forgot to add the mods that worked.
    Hydro assist steering
    Off Road Sway Bar (Sway-loc)
    Ditching the panhard bar for a triangulated rear upper.

• LED's for the front signals (too problematic).

I'd have to agree on this one...esp when talking 2-wire -> 3-wire converted 2" clearance markers being used for CJ-style signals. I just swapped mine for JK signals as the LED's barely had enough difference between park and turn, weren't very visible in daylight, and I had several resistors die due to (I'm guessing) temp and vibration.

--Ian

• and to answer the original post, I never really did any "bad" mods but really wished I had just done everything once.. I guess I am on my 5th suspension set-up and so on... so my real advice would be have a plan before you start spending money and cutting... my worst money spent on jeep related items was buying a 4cyl. and then taking a bath on it when I realized it sucked for anything greater than 33's

• You obviously dont' let your wife wheel your jeep... I never ever touched mine and within 10 minutes of my wife driving on rock creek...well lets just say I was happy to have mine :laughing:

I'm just glad to hear it took a hit without shattering the radiator plastic. It's the only untouched skid on my Jeep.

And my wife won't get in my Jeep anymore. She says it's like a nightmare where you get into a car accident over and over. Not sure what she means by that. :innocent: I think it's fun.

but really wished I had just done everything once.

^THIS^. That sums up every Jeep mistake I've made and am still making.

• ^THIS^. That sums up every Jeep mistake I've made and am still making.

For you hardcore guys, is it really ever "finished" ?

I'm happy with 33's and 3.5" of lift, but for many like yourselves there's always bigger rocks to conquer.

And those like me live life knowing there are places you can go that we can't. :mrgreen:

• Not so much
    Belly up skid. (Caused vibes I did not have prior to installation)

Ditching the shovel and getting a tummy tuck is a great mod. Done right, there are no vibes. Start pulling shafts and checking angles. The vibe will show up somewhere.

• Didn't work:

Already built 8.8 set up for a different lift. Now running stock - budget boost shocks in the rear which isn't cool.

I think that's the only thing that makes me go :bang:

You do own a hairdryer don&#039;t you she asked? Of course I do, he replied, it&#039;s in the driveway, it&#039;s called a Jeep.<br /><br />Current - 97 TJ, 99 WJ, 12 Scion tC<br />Past - 94 ZJ, 02 TJ, 06 Rubicon, 06 XK, 07 Scion tC

• Worked: RCV shafts, Oh the steering gains.

Did not work: Irok tires without beadlocks. Just useless if you can't get them to 4-8 psi.

• Worked: Double triangulated 4 link with candilever coilovers :)

not so good: building a cage off the factory one, should have just built it from scratch from the begining

• not so good: building a cage off the factory one, should have just built it from scratch from the begining

Might be looking for a new one myself.

Worked: Both of my lift renditions and combinations, all of my drive train renditions, all of my body patches (they lasted at least 5 years before cracking again so I count them as successful :innocent: ).

Not work: having the ends of the axle shafts turned down to fit through Dana 30 spindles for the custom rear full floating set up. I liked the rear full floating set up and it worked very well. But I learned the hard way about what happens when you machine beyond the surface hardening of the axle. :rolleyes: They still lasted a while though.

Also, using 6 bolt locking hubs on the rear full floating set up. Being in constant use, the locking hub bolts kept loosening regardless of how they were lock tighted. Snapped many grade 8 bolts with that set up. You HAVE to use internally splined hubs.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Edited once, last by Slimer ().

• [

For you hardcore guys, is it really ever "finished" ?

I'm happy with 33's and 3.5" of lift, but for many like yourselves there's always bigger rocks to conquer.

I would be ecstatic with 33's and 3.5" of lift... when I had the 3.5" RE lift with all 8 adjustable arms, it was the absolute best my jeep rode and it was the time when I got the most enjoyment out of it..

• I would be ecstatic with 33's and 3.5" of lift... when I had the 3.5" RE lift with all 8 adjustable arms, it was the absolute best my jeep rode and it was the time when I got the most enjoyment out of it..

So the mods you regret came after that.

FWIW, mine handles better, stops faster, and steers tighter and easier than it ever did stock or after. Was it worth it? Hell no.

I forgot the item I hated the most:
    Tera-Low 4:1 for the NP231 T-case.

• Mods that worked:
    Ford TFI , Weber Carb,
    Scout Axles, rotated knuckles and custom outboard spring mounts.
    Saturn Seats
    Classic Enterprises full length floor boards,
    TJ flares and cutting for more wheel clearance.

Mods that didn't
    Hacked patched exhaust,
    4WD Hardware aluminum valve cover (fixed using a metal re-enforced silicon gasket)
    Electric guitar knobs for replacement CJ dash knobs.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!