Looking for a local Drive shaft shop

• I have 2 driveshafts for my Yj that need to be leghtned and one for the xj. Was going to send them to Tom woods but that would become very expensive very fast, anyway looking for a shop around Dover or closest.

Thanks.

Cj-

• There's a shop in New Castle off 273 but they're not cheap unless you know them. Associated Truck Parts I went to them for a yoke and a CV rebuild and they quoted almost 300. Bartered it down to 235 because I told them I could get a new shaft for that. CJ Tatton on ebay sells YJ/TJ/XJ CV shafts for $235 shipped, occasionally for 225.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• CJ Tatton on ebay sells YJ/TJ/XJ CV shafts for $235 shipped, occasionally for 225.

i wonder how they compare in quality...

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• i wonder how they compare in quality...

It's not like the tubes wear out. And I would think most of the yokes are off the shelf pieces from a few manufacturers.

Typically, the u-joints fail. And aside from the competition type u-joints, they are all about the same.

• Tom woods quoted me 50.00 a shaft to make them longer, plus I would have to ship them there which will not be cheap... I was hoping their would be a nice small reasonably priced shop around here...

Cj-

• i wonder how they compare in quality...

Actually, the one from Tatton feels a little stronger. Certainly comparable, Spicer joints.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• There's a shop in Camden where you can drop them off. They don't do the work in-house, but will run it north to there Elkton shop and run it back down. They told me about 4 days to get it back after balancing. No idea on quality or price since I haven't made it over there to drop mine off. I think they are in the industrial park near the DSPCA...or the other one directly across Route 10.

Fleetpride
    163 Vepco Court
    Camden, DE 19934

302 698 1719

Mon-Fri 8am-5pm
    Sat 8am-12pm

• I figured I would report on my findings.
    I brought my drive shaft to fleetpride and had them lengthen it. I gave them the measurements from drive flange on the back of the t-case to the u joint mounting surface on the Dana 60, which was 23 3/4in
    A week went by and I got a call that it was completed. When I dropped it off I expressed to the man that it was to be in a rock crawler/ off-road jeep and that the tubing should be .120 wall. Well when I picked up the shaft I brought it home and set it out to install it and noticed that it looked exactly the same as before. (needed to be 5 in longer for rear stretch) and measured it, they had added about an inch to it to make the maximum extended length 23 ½ in… I was upset.
    Took it back a few days later and talked with the guy and he sent it back, they added 5 inches to the driveshaft and to make a long story short it was too long…
    This is when I decided to call accubilt. I dropped it off Monday around 11 and it was ready around 4:30.
    One of the techs called me and inquired as to who had done previous work on it. I told him fleetpride, and there was a pause… he told me they had used .083 wall tubing and the ends were too small for the tubing since they were designed to fit .120 wall… so the shaft was impossible to balance due to both sides being welded differently.
    They ended up re-tubing the shaft and balancing it, they checked all the u joints and even greased all the joints, covered it in two coats of paint all for 130.00. Quality work and a pleasure to deal with. I don’t recommend fleetpride to anyone. Period.
    Here is accubilts info

1-410-548-5700
    2407 North Salisbury Boulevard
    Salisbury MD 21804

Cj-

• Sorry about that. :doh:

It's all good, They are just drive shaft repair men, they really cant make or do anything else...

I just hope this helps someone in the same circumstances

Cj-

• One of the issues is that fleetpride and associated are both big rig driveline shops and dont know what to do with the smaller stuff.

I have been using quigley 4xr for the last couple years with very good results. Ask for brian in driveshafts when u call. He usually has take off parts that he will discount and doesnt mind figuring out the oddball requests i ask for. He just did a 1350 cv shaft for under $300 and shipping was $15 to ship.

• I have had poor luck locally with a few different places. I bought the shafts I am running now from CJTatton on eBay and have had no problem. I think they are 2" tube. They were about 150.00 each delivered. From what I can tell they are high quality. The welds are nice, the yokes are heavy and are machined evenly, and there are weights welded on so they are obviously balanced. If I wasn't going to change out my rear and/or transfer case I would be buying another set from him for spares. I tried Tom Woods once also, but I gave him the center to center measurements of the vehicle at ride height, and he does the calculation for length. It was a fairly short shaft with a cv joint and a slip yoke going into the np208 transfer case. The yoke ended up way farther out of the transfer case than was necessary. He remade it to a length that I specified, but argued that it was just as strong no matter how far it hung out. That's just me, other people are different.

• My experience with Tom Woods has been great. I found their customer service to be excellent, as is their turnaround time. (Full disclosure: it has been around 5 years or so since I have last needed to use them, so ymmv.)

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• This shaft was made by High Angle many years ago and never had any issues but now I need it shortened. I have a new spline end piece to weld on, so all I need is the tube cut and it welded on. I'm half tempted to do it myself....The only problem would be the balancing, not even sure if I need that since it's use off road only.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!