Sparrows in drive shaft....Some other animal in my transfer case!

• Ok, so what cute animal name does the Jeep community give to the noise that comes from the transfer case chain? Wolverine? Alley cat? Whatever the name, I've got the noise. I could use a little TC101 here. I've got a grumbling noise that is heavier and more metallic than the angry sparrows. JeepsterJK and I think it's coming from the transfer case -- we're not 100 percent sure. It occurs only when the Jeep is moving and under load; if I slip into neutral while driving it goes away. (I have an 18-month-old Tom Woods drive shaft and SYE installed by Delmarva Offroad. My front drive shaft is currently off the vehicle, as I'm dealing with the angry sparrows it has.) The shop manual says the TC will make some noise if it's low on fluid, but I honestly don't think adding a little fluid is going to make a difference. I've got 175K miles and I'm guessing this is the original chain. I don't know what brand/model the TC is, but I have an auto 3-speed transmission in my 1998 TJ.

Do we have a DEJA transfer case expert in the Dover area? Would like another opinion, but I can't drive the TJ except maybe around my neighborhood at slow speed at this point -- the noise is more than a nuisance, so I need to be super careful. If we confirm it is the chain, is anyone interested in helping me replace it, or in doing it for me for cash? Thanks.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• Drain the TC and look at the fluid. Probably needs replacing anyways. Not a hard job at all. If you find chunks of metal, well, more of a project. Lol

Dumb question maybe, but... if the chain has been loosened over the years, can it be readjusted or retensioned? I see they're about $100+.

• if it gets low on fluid the chain and shift forks will go bad. easy to dissasemble - I know because I've been able to do it :) Does it sound like the chain is skipping?

Sal, I wouldn't call it a skipping noise. It's more of a metallic clicking noise. Unfortunately, I don't know what a skipping TC chain sounds like, so I can't give you a good answer.

I'm comfortable removing the two plugs - drain and refill - and letting the fluid drain out, but it seems to me any metal filings might not flow out with the fluid. They might be on the bottom of the TC and just stay there.

• If you find that your T-case is toast, I will be removing the t-case out of mine within the next month or so. It will be up for sale. Np231 3 speed auto w/sye.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Keith_C, the fill plug did come out ok last night with a little persuasion. Hopefully so will the drain plug.

2000sahara, I will keep that in mind - thanks.

• When mine in the CJ-5 had that noise, I found it had a broken tooth. Got a good deal on another transfer case from "John the Jeep Man". Hundred bucks as I remember.

• When mine in the CJ-5 had that noise, I found it had a broken tooth. Got a good deal on another transfer case from "John the Jeep Man". Hundred bucks as I remember.

That's great....but I have no idea who John the Jeep Man is. Tried Google -- no luck.

• the case in the cj was a gear driven unit not chain driven. the newer ones dont break teeth. if the case is run on low fluid it will melt the shift fork pads and missalign the gears also the chain will stretch and rub on the inside of the case. you would know if the chain was skipping it makes a unmistakable clunck that sounds like the tcase is breaking in half.

aaron

• i had a noise like that in my 87 a couple of links on the chain broke and it slapped a couple of holes right through the case :doh:

.,=======o00o<br />//__|__l__,\___\,___<br />l_---\__|__|---&#91;]lllllll&#91;] _<br />(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)__

• Thanks everyone! I think what I will do tonight is drain the fluid and top off with new Dexron II fluid. This probably won't fix my problem, but my fluid is a little bid low and I guess it would be an inexpensive thing to try. Filling the case should be lots of fun!

Question: Quadratec sells an Alloy USA chain for $74.99. Seems to be less expensive than others. I may be jumping the gun here, but is this one any good?
    http://www.quadratec.com/products/52205_1000.htm

• Thanks everyone! I think what I will do tonight is drain the fluid and top off with new Dexron II fluid. This probably won't fix my problem, but my fluid is a little bid low and I guess it would be an inexpensive thing to try. Filling the case should be lots of fun!

What is "a little low" ?

If you stick your pinky in the fill hole can you feel the fluid?

If so, I wouldn't waste more fluid changing it.

• What is "a little low" ?

If you stick your pinky in the fill hole can you feel the fluid?

If so, I wouldn't waste more fluid changing it.

Yes, the pinky gets wet for sure. Ok, will not waste the ATF on it now then.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!