Need some advise on an engine swap

• Ok, so I have spent hours looking at engine swap information (to many sites and no one follows up with the success story). I defiantly do not need an 8cyl. But I want something that I will not fear my life with when I cross the summit bridge.

That being said, I think I have landed on the Chevy 4.3 swap but I thought I would ask the team prior to spending money and finding out it was a waste time. Can anyone provide some advice; Im looking for something simple, not a wiring nightmare and will be great on trails and on the highway. I already did swap from the AX5 to the AX15 so I think I’m in good shape from the trans back.

I figured someone has had great success and has found the perfect balance between power ,reliability and ease of installation.
    Any insight would be helpful. Also, what year motors should I be looking for?

• 4.0 swap would be much simpler, accomplish what u r looking for IMO, and have MUCH more info on the net on the swap.
    And u can keep the ax-15 back.

• Honestly if your going to do a engine swap on a Wrangler that is currently 2.5L powered I'd skip the Jeep 4.0L and either do a 4.3L or LSx Chevy. Have you checked www.advanceadapters.com or www.novak-adapt.com or www.painlesswiring.com and www.ronfrancis.com . There is a ton of info on this swap on the interweb best of luck on your project. :driving:

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

Edited once, last by 92Renegade ().

• Pretty sure Chris Klee did one. Later tore it apart and parted the jeep out. Not sure if he ever sold the motor or not. Might want to contact him. BMF24 on this site!

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• chris had the same shortstar motor as me. the 4.3 is a good choice lots of aftermarket support and i am pretty sure the ax15 was bolted to it at some point. you may just need the bell housing.

aaron

• I know you say you do not need an 8cyl but what is disadvantage to getting one? The aluminum 5.3s only weigh 30lbs more then a 4.3. If you want more power down the road the options are pretty much unlimited. It gets better fuel milage and is the same amount of work to install as a 4.3. Novak makes an adapter to hook up the ax15 also. I've never heard anyone complain they had too much power, but I have heard a bunch of people say they wish they had more.

• X2 on the 5.3. Not a good aftermarket but a fantastic never ending one.

Quick dana 35 test: kick one of the rear tires. If the axle breaks, it&#039;s a 35<br />01 TJ Sahara<br />TJ- 4.0 5spd, 8.8, RE 4.5&quot; lift, RC X-Flex Arms, 1&quot; BL w/ MM Lift, Clayton/JKS Trackbars, 33&#039;s, Rusty&#039;s Rock Bumpers, XRC Sliders, PIAA&#039;s, Delta H4 Conv, CB, Skids<br />Future Mods: Going back to 3&quot; springs with Johnny Joints on all the arms.

• Has anyone compleated the 5.3 conversion? How in the weeds is the rewiring? Can you still use the factory guages? I think with the 4.0 and the 4.3 you can use all the factory guages knowing the tach needs a mod to convert it to a chevy.

• I did the 5.9L swap and use my stock gauges. I sent the wiring harnesses to Evan at Backwoods Offroad
    He knows his stuff and can answer any question.

http://www.backwoodsoffroad.com/

Backwoods Offroad
    1144 Wilderville Ln.
    Grants Pass, Oregon 97527
    (541) 955-0363

Has anyone compleated the 5.3 conversion? How in the weeds is the rewiring? Can you still use the factory guages? I think with the 4.0 and the 4.3 you can use all the factory guages knowing the tach needs a mod to convert it to a chevy.

98 TJ 5.9L, RE 4.5 SF, 35s, 4XDoctor Rocker Guards, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS
    2012 JKU 3" lift 35s

• Has anyone compleated the 5.3 conversion? How in the weeds is the rewiring? Can you still use the factory guages? I think with the 4.0 and the 4.3 you can use all the factory guages knowing the tach needs a mod to convert it to a chevy.

Not yet but I've done a fair amount of research and began collecting parts to do a 5.3 in Jen's 4-banger....wiring isn't 'bad' but you'll definitely need to know what you are doing. You can retain factory gauges but will need to retain the factory ECM to drive them as well as pick up one of Novak's converter boxes to get the tach working.

--Ian

• ok, ok. I think I need to go with the bigger motor. Thank you for all the links and help. I may reach out as I move throught the process for some help ;D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!