jeep hesitating

• hey guys my 88 yj 2.5 is hesitating slightly at times when driving even on a flat straightaway. Its as though the wind catches it and pushes on it. Im going to start with plugs then filter then if I have to fuel pump. Any other suggestions?
    thanks PeF

• yeah but this is different, it is a new thing, it even happens when accelerating changing gears. you know how you know how your car drives/rides its not a wind issue

• Maybe its just because its a 2.5 liter haha..... I had the same issue and it was a vacuum line issue... Had to actually get smoke blown thru the lines to find out where it was.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Well I'm going to find out now, jeep started bucking and then eventually shut out. had it fladbedded tothe shop, the mechanics cash cow is back!! fuel filter, fuel pump lets see who can figure it out!

• I should have known, they cant find anything wrong! Had it brought there on a flat bed. Fuel pump is moving gas? It started bucking, down shifted got rpms up and would go again only to buck and sputter agai. would get it going again a couple of times then finally cut out and wouldn't start. I want a new Jeep!!

• Check your fuel filter. Could also be the fuel pump going bad but I'm guessing fuel filter.

If you want another mechanic to look at it I recommend Sevy's Garage on Rt. 273.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I should have known, they cant find anything wrong! Had it brought there on a flat bed. Fuel pump is moving gas? It started bucking, down shifted got rpms up and would go again only to buck and sputter agai. would get it going again a couple of times then finally cut out and wouldn't start. I want a new Jeep!!

This sounds exactly like the issue I had with my mom's 4.0 TJ. It ended up being the throttle position sensor.

• Sounds like you need to find a better mechanic.

Aaron

Couldn't of said it better myself Aaron. And if you can't fix it call Aaron he's the only mechanic ill let touch my jeep from now on. Not only did he fix my jeep he found a lot of other stuff I needed to fix that I had no clue about.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• thanks guys, he is gong into it today and will hopefully find it. Didnt think of the catalytic converter or the tps. will mention that. Ill keep mechanics in mind. illpost up what it was when I get it back...

• I'm with Shadyluke...Mine did the exact same thing when the TPS went out.

Quick dana 35 test: kick one of the rear tires. If the axle breaks, it&#039;s a 35<br />01 TJ Sahara<br />TJ- 4.0 5spd, 8.8, RE 4.5&quot; lift, RC X-Flex Arms, 1&quot; BL w/ MM Lift, Clayton/JKS Trackbars, 33&#039;s, Rusty&#039;s Rock Bumpers, XRC Sliders, PIAA&#039;s, Delta H4 Conv, CB, Skids<br />Future Mods: Going back to 3&quot; springs with Johnny Joints on all the arms.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!