preparing for the upcoming surf fishing season

• after having been an assateague permit holder for years, last year I gave the Delaware beaches a try. Fishing was nothing short of awesome, lots of stripers, tons of sharks and a good mix of blues and panfish. I will have to say on the negative side, the majority of the people that I came in contact with (mostly during the summer) were real pompas asses. Several times I had vehicles park so close to me that I couldn't open my doors, people turning their kids loose swimming in, over and under the fishing line.....all while the parents flip out a 5 foot bass rod with only a sinker which was cast out and forgot about. If you have ever been to assateague, this just doesn't happen. Needless to say I bought my 2013 permit and have been out twice so far...Empty beaches...a beautiful thing.
    Do any of you guys fish the beaches on a regular basis? Like every weekend if weather permitted. If you do and wouldn't mind having company please let me know, it would be nice meeting some club members who enjoy the sport and maybe fishing in a group would make for a little breathing room to "fish". I should start hitting the beach on a regular basis starting late march, early april, trying to catch some of those monster bass heading for the bays!

• Last summer was my first time surf fishing (have always been more of a fresh water bass person). We went in June during out vacation week (wrong time of year to try to surf fish...I know). Didn't really catch anything but had a lot of fun. Told myself I would get out more this year for fishing. The wife and kids live sitting on the beach etc. but I hate it because I get bored. But I could fish all day. This way everyone's happy.

We found a lot of what you mentioned in regards to others on the beach. A lot of people who will cuddle right up next to you and then start swimming on your line. Kind of annoying. We only went to Henelopen though, so maybe it's nor as bad at the inlet or further down?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

• I like it when peeps are running down the beach and clothesline themselves on fishing line - its pretty funny to watch!
    I hope to get my toes in the water and ass in the sand more this year. I'll probably just go to Cape, the drive down to the inlet can be frustrating and its nice knowing there are real bathrooms/showers nearby if needed.

• I will have to say on the negative side, the majority of the people that I came in contact with (mostly during the summer) were real pompas asses. Several times I had vehicles park so close to me that I couldn't open my doors, people turning their kids loose swimming in, over and under the fishing line.....all while the parents flip out a 5 foot bass rod with only a sinker which was cast out and forgot about.

I see lots of people just toss a line out and hang out . That doesnt bother me as much as the kids and sometimes the adults running up and down the dunes. The kids can be an issue someitmes but for the most part I park where its not as busy . When I have my kids with me I always make sure they stay in the water right behind the Jeep .
    I dont rarely see anyone park that close , unless they are part of a group . On holiday wknds tho it will get crowded fast.
    Have yet to get my Assateague pass . Keep meaning to do that , one of these years .

• We had three different occasions a Henlopen park that i had to ask people to move their vehicles over so that i could open my doors.to access gear. I was mumbled at for doing so. I have a surf rack on the back and can't open the tailgate when it's installed. Surfrider, what beaches do you fish that may be a little less crowded than at Henlopen. A longer drive would be worth less.of a crowd, besides any beach in delaware is a hell of alot closer than assateague.......almost 3 hours from where i live

• I haven't had many problems with people around the last few years and I am there pretty much throughout the year. I guess we just avoid the beach during peak times or wait until late afternoon to hit the beach. :shrug:

Most of my problems are from the walkers since my favorite spot is Navy crossing by the dunes. Watching those assholes walk on the dunes drives me nuts and since the dunes once again saved us from a hurricane this year, I am going to be flipping out on people when they tromp across the grass.

Surfrider posted that while I was typing...can you tell we both have yelled (used the air horn) on people before? :innocent:

This guy parked to close to me but I made the best of it. :fishing:

• Have yet to get my Assateague pass . Keep meaning to do that , one of these years .

I got one this year. It's nice down there but it is a hike from Lewes when there is traffic. We made a day trip out of it. The kids loved the horses.

• I got one this year. It's nice down there but it is a hike from Lewes when there is traffic. We made a day trip out of it. The kids loved the horses.

The fishing is second to none,Lots of different species of shark, some pushing 60+ lbs. just be sure to fish with an onshore wind, when its blowing offshore the mosquitos will eat you off of the beach.

• We had three different occasions a Henlopen park that i had to ask people to move their vehicles over so that i could open my doors.to access gear. I was mumbled at for doing so. I have a surf rack on the back and can't open the tailgate when it's installed. Surfrider, what beaches do you fish that may be a little less crowded than at Henlopen. A longer drive would be worth less.of a crowd, besides any beach in delaware is a hell of alot closer than assateague.......almost 3 hours from where i live

I almost always fish CHSP . Either Navy Crossing or Herring Point .

• I guess i need tp fish a beach or two down, we fished at point beach right where they cse it at the nesting area. From sunrise til about 10 am it is fine. After 10 til 5 or 6 seems to be a complete wasre of time as that is when we had people swimming in our lines

• I'll probably get my surf tag this year and be the guy with a line in the water and not any bait. :wavey: But I dont have kids so I'll be keeping to my area and my beer. I personally don't see a problem with this to just go out and enjoy the environment and put a chair in the water. More fish for you to catch. :fishing:

• I'll probably get my surf tag this year and be the guy with a line in the water and not any bait. :wavey: But I dont have kids so I'll be keeping to my area and my beer. I personally don't see a problem with this to just go out and enjoy the environment and put a chair in the water. More fish for you to catch. :fishing:

I agree. As long as you are respectful, I don't see a problem with not fishing like a pro. In reality, there isn't much good fishing happening in the middle of the day when it's busiest anyway.

Also, this is probably a good time to remind people of the 2013 Fishing tournament on Saturday, July 6th. I believe it will be at DE Seashore State Park this year. (Faithful Steward Crossing)

• I enjoy the beach in the summer, sometimes I want to fish and other times I want to kick back and enjoy drinks and horse shoes with friends. I also drive out in the Fall and Spring time to really fish. I am by no means hardcore enough to bitch about a family enjoying time together on 4th of July weekend on the surf together. Although people that bury their tackle in the sand to fake fish drive me nuts...

• DON'T get me.wrong i' m not against people on the beach having fun. But when people who parked three vehicles.away are swimming in my lines, that' s a little disrespectful.
    Viking, i fished at point beach at CHSP and loaded up on fish tbis past season. Lots of striper,blues sharks, spot and croaker. Oct and nov we were going through 4dozen finver mullet by noon time.caught the striper and shark on fresh mullet when available. Wben we couldn't find fresh bait we caught spot and stripped them down or used them live.when they open the nesting area right at the point on outgoing tide was hot where tjecurrent comes around the corner.

• Hey hookedonthebay I might need a new fishing buddy since my wingman is having a kid I'm gonna need a spot holder haha.... Its good to run in pairs we usually park long ways just so we don't have tourons interfere with us. Finger mullet usually stops running mid October... Best iinvestment honestly is a cast net... I rarely buy bait unless its June July and I run box squid on a maws top bottom rig. I bagged a lot of rockfish last year during the spring and fall runs roughly 9 keepers in the surf and 4 off a boat... And as far as the non fisherman on the beach hogging the surf just do what I do catch a big shark and let it go right next to them and tell them their schooling fish haha...when there's one there's many and they freak out. There's a few guys on here that will tell ya I all but live on the beach. By the way fish the towers off the Gordon's pond crossing I banked 4 king fish and about 6 blues in less then a hour there. When the point opens up is the best. My girlfriend caught about 50 blues and I was using them as bait and catching drum.

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

• Well, lets set some dates... I would love to learn. Talked about it for the last few years, I have no idea where to even begin!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• I'll keep ya posted yj. I'm gearing up my tackle box now and servicing my reels.... Kinda hard to do when I'm always working on my jeep. I'll be more then happy to teach you how to read waves and what to look for to have a productive fishing trip. I'll post some links on here so you can see what I'm talking about. If I can teach my wife how to read the surf and sand I'm pretty sure I can teach anyone. Now if I could only get her to bait her own hook and clean her fish I would be good! :fishing:

Anytime you take your 20+ year old jeep apart plan on fixing more them you intended.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!