No more solid axles?

• I'm surprised they've lasted this long. It will be interesting to see how this pushes the after-market suppliers. I remember one of the big racer names (I think Parnelli Jones?) made a small off road truck with independent suspension. But as I recall he soon swapped it out. Perhaps if the market is pushed that way then the engineers will figure out some way of making strength improvements.

Always liked the look of this JK, although I don't like the thin fiberglass body.
    http://www.autoguide.com/auto-…d-at-in-job-postings.html

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I know IFS/IRS can still be somewhat offroadable.....but it still doesn't seem right...lol. Maybe I'm just a sentimental, old-fashioned dwebe...lol

"I mean, I've always been a libertarian. Leave everybody alone. Let everybody else do what they want. Just stay out of everybody else's hair." - Clint Eastwood -

• my FJCruiser was good offroad (IFS/solid rear)...i prefer solid axle all around..but i think it's more of a comfort thing since i'm used to it. there were many guys i wheeled with with FJCruisers that could perform great with little mods. lockers become more of a requirement from my opinion, but still very good rigs.

• I know IFS/IRS can still be somewhat offroadable.....but it still doesn't seem right...lol. Maybe I'm just a sentimental, old-fashioned dwebe...lol

I was skeptical seeing the Ultra 4 cars with IFS but Shannon Campbell and a few others have proved that they can handle both desert and rocks.

I prefer a solid axle in a Jeep for a few reasons but admit IFS has it's benefits.

• A little off topic (not a 4WD vehicle) but good article and good suspension shots. Cool looking truck too.

http://www.dirtsportsnation.co…-in-metal/the-bfg-blazer/

Maybe it was Dick Cepek who did that S10 truck? :hmm:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I was skeptical seeing the Ultra 4 cars with IFS but Shannon Campbell and a few others have proved that they can handle both desert and rocks.

I prefer a solid axle in a Jeep for a few reasons but admit IFS has it's benefits.

He has proven they work for sure. However, they are extremely pricey to build stout enough to handle abuse. Also, his rig weighs slightly more than a bag of feathers.

• Interesting how the CV shafts on the front of that rig are the same size as d30 axle tubes.

LOL.....exactly. Some schmuck with a money tree growing in his yard finds a way to make IFS stout, but still can't resist the urge to chrome the CV shafts......lol. Says it all.

"I mean, I've always been a libertarian. Leave everybody alone. Let everybody else do what they want. Just stay out of everybody else's hair." - Clint Eastwood -

• I'm sure the axle manufacturer GAVE his the axles so he could show them off on his rig. They're probably the ones who added the bling. Also notice how the diff is more or less centered. Not sure how a lift would flex when one axle is half the length of the other.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I'm sure the axle manufacturer GAVE his the axles so he could show them off on his rig. They're probably the ones who added the bling. Also notice how the diff is more or less centered. Not sure how a lift would flex when one axle is half the length of the other.

I've never seen an IFS that wasn't centered :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!