DRIVING IN SNOW TIPS ANYONE?

• Today was my first time driving my JK Limited in the snow. Does anyone have any tips for me? I am used to driving a front wheel drive but not a 4x4. When should I and when shouldn't I use the 4WD? Thanks! JOANNE :mrgreen:

• Unless your out trying to screw around and have fun, just throw it 4WD from the get go. Just my experience.

*bLaTaNt DiSrEgarD oFfRoAd*<br /><br />&quot;Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. <br />One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.&quot;

• If you were born & raised in Delaware, then drive faster than your natural instincts tell you to. If you were born & raised in New Jersey, then drive slower than your natural instincts tell you to.

All seriousness, you only need 4WD if you can actually feel the tires slipping while driving. Otherwise, your Jeep will do better in 2WD with nice steady acceleration. No goosing the throttle and you'll be fine. Even more important is to give a huge distance between you and the car in front of you. Idiots will continually cut into that gap in an attempt to make better time, but it'll keep you from being "at fault" when there is a fender bender.

• Only use 4x4 when you can't see the road surface. If you're in 4x4 on a clear-ish surface, you risk damaging components (perfectly straight line is ok, but as you go through curves it adds stress). In snow, I wouldn't worry about it... just throw it in 4x4 High and leave it there until you get onto a clear road. Even if you can drive in 2wd, the extra traction up front will help prevent sliding in turns. And, to repeat what was said before... keep a safe following distance so you can avoid the lesser skilled drivers. I almost t-boned a stupid SUV on 95 in my ambulance (in the first surprise snow) because he tried changing lanes too fast and went sideways. Fortunately I was keeping extra following space and was able to slow down enough to avoid him.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Random thought (and apologies in advance if I temporarily hijack the thread) but I wonder who is driving all the nurses and doctors in these days.

I replied in the other thread, but... we drive ourselves mostly. Most docs and nurses have SUVs (at least as a secondary to their primary BMW... lol).

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

• Regardless of the vehicle, drive slower than normal (just keep with traffic unless for some reason your vehicle or other vehicles are having problems) and allow extra room between you and the person in front of you. 4wd doesn't help you grip ice (nothing does) but it can help you get started and slow down if you let it do the work. Hit the accelerator as if you have a raw egg under your foot and try not to use the brake. If you have to use the brake use it lightly.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• if you have to ask you should stay home

Grouchy much? :doh:

Jerry / Whatevah

• I totally agree and also just suggest staying the hell off the roads and letting those who have to be out there do their jobs..

The two of you had a first time driving in snow in your Jeep too. I was welcomed here as a new member and told "there are no dumb questions". Thank you to the rest of you for your nice replies and suggestions.

May the fleas from a thousand camels infest your armpits to you Mr. Turtle and Mr. Jaytj01! :laughabove:

• I totally agree and also just suggest staying the hell off the roads and letting those who have to be out there do their jobs..

I'd have to disagree here and I'm a bit surprised by the reactions. There are a multitude of reasons why everyone should learn to drive in ALL types of weather conditions... especially hazardous conditions. Just one example is having to get to a hospital. You don't want to be "learning" how to drive on snow when you're already stressed during an emergency situation. That lesson may turn into a crash course. Take the initiative to learn ahead of time to eliminate one more stress factor.

Also how is learning to drive in the snow any different than learning how to navigate a rock garden or obstacle at RC? Y'all had to learn these skills.... and how was that done? By asking questions and then getting out there and doing it. Same as Haley is doing here.

BTW Haley... it was Jaytj01, not Whatevah ;)

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I just ask for one thing from all drivers (not jeepers). If you cant do the speed limit or for example yesterday, if you can only go 25 on the highway, please stay to the right and allow drivers that are equiped and experienced pass.
    It took me 2 hours to get home last night, not because of the conditions but because of 2wd cars plugging up the left lane for what reason I have no idea. O and also 2wd cars attempting to go up large hills, for example the bridge on 95 in philly past the stadiums. If you dont have a 4x4 then you should have a flat route home mapped out, it may be out of the way but it beats sitting in one place because your stuck.
    That being said, Jeeps may be one of the best vehicles to drive in snow. Good luck to the new snow goers! I hope you are now impressed with your vehicle for being so capable in the elements. :up:

• Also how is learning to drive in the snow any different than learning how to navigate a rock garden or obstacle at RC? Y'all had to learn these skills.... and how was that done? By asking questions and then getting out there and doing it. Same as Haley is doing here.

BTW Haley... it was Jaytj01, not Whatevah ;)

You aren't putting other people's lives in danger at RC. I don't want to be on the road with some idiot that has no idea what they are doing.

I agree with the stay out of the left lane if you going to do 10mph on i95. A little snow isn't an excuse to drive up the middle of the road with you flashers on.

• You aren't putting other people's lives in danger at RC. I don't want to be on the road with some idiot that has no idea what they are doing.

I agree with the stay out of the left lane if you going to do 10mph on i95. A little snow isn't an excuse to drive up the middle of the road with you flashers on.

"I don't want to be on the trail with some idiot that has no idea what they are doing." (beach, trail, woods, mountains... anyplace really) ...

Sure you are... since the minimum group number at RC is 2 vehicles and you can't wheel solo then there's always an inherent danger to the other vehicle whether they are in front of you or behind you. My point is that everyone had to learn at some point and some place so how is it any difference of her learning on a road? I'm pretty sure that no one was born with an inate ability to drive in the snow... or on the beach... or on the rocks... No one said she would be rolling down I95 at 50 mph swerving all over the place. At least not at first... :innocent:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• "I don't want to be on the trail with some idiot that has no idea what they are doing." (beach, trail, woods, mountains... anyplace really) ...

Sure you are... since the minimum group number at RC is 2 vehicles and you can't wheel solo then there's always an inherent danger to the other vehicle whether they are in front of you or behind you. My point is that everyone had to learn at some point and some place so how is it any difference of her learning on a road? I'm pretty sure that no one was born with an inate ability to drive in the snow... or on the beach... or on the rocks... No one said she would be rolling down I95 at 50 mph swerving all over the place. At least not at first... :innocent:

Do you even wheel Bra?!?!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!