Tire Siping

• I'm trying to decide if I should sipe my old style mtr's on my stail rig to make the tires grab more better. I've never done it or seen it done but have read some write ups. What do you all think is best tool to use? Would a hot knife work on tire tread?

• ask j-man about his chainsaw technique

:laughabove: Seriously every time I hear the words siping or grooving, I think about Jason in his back yard with a chain saw going at his tires.

Are the factory sipes gone Matt" I really don't know how much more traction you'll get on rock but I know over-siping will cause significantly more chunking (when abused) and reduced tire life.

What pressures are you running? Maybe mess with that first to see if it helps traction.

• http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/220945330955?lpid=82

Probably worth buying the correct tool just for the time savings.

• I have a tire siping tool. Different than the one Aaron pictured. It heats up. I siped two of my tires. Never got to the others. I don't have the grooving blade for it, just the razor blades. I think it took me about 40 minutes per tire.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I have the tires between 10-12 psi. I doubt I'll get to sipping before the member ride so I was planning on dropping to 8psi to see how much it helps. If I did wipe the the tires I would probably just do the inner tread lugs to help prevent chunking. I plan on running these tires as long as possible.

• Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• You should def try lowering your pressure first. I think you could groove them with a router and the right bit if your trying to do it on the cheap. :mrgreen:

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

Edited once, last by 2000sahara ().

• That would be hard on the router.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I saw a pretty good improvement on my old MTR's using a utility knife and cutting ~3/8" sipes into the tread. Big difference in wet stuff, especially on the road, no chunking issues...

• I saw a pretty good improvement on my old MTR's using a utility knife and cutting ~3/8" sipes into the tread. Big difference in wet stuff, especially on the road, no chunking issues...

That's how I did my BFG's. Took maybe an hour with them mounted on the Jeep. Made a huge difference in the rain and snow. Never any chunking.

• That dremel tool would burn up real quick I'm guessing. The rubber would probably grip the moving blade making it hard on the motor.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!