Steering upgrade question.

• Hey guys about 1300 miles ago I installed a Rough Country 3.25 inch lift with Aaron.
    Steering geometry obviously changes with lift, and I have done a lot of reading on all sorts of different steering corrections.
    I was wondering if anyone from DEJA has lifted their 2door JK and then realized they should upgrade their steering as well. Obviously an oversight on my part.
    So the Question is, What did you do to "fix" the steering and handling. everytime I hit a bump I get a slight shimmy and shake. had DW and resolved it with an alignment, so I know what I am going through is not DW. But I get a little shimmy and shake as well as some surfing here and there.

All opinions and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

(NOTE: I am AWARE rough country is not top quality, please don't bash me, I am just a mall crawler. lol )

• drop pitman arm to align the drag link and track bar. this will fix "bump steer"

Dropped pitman arms on JK's are highly frowned upon due to the weak factory steering box. The sector shaft can sheer or the bearings will be toast with the added forces from a dropped arm. A drag link flip in conjunction with a raised trackbar bracket is the way to go!

Cheers

• Dropped pitman arms on JK's are highly frowned upon due to the weak factory steering box. The sector shaft can sheer or the bearings will be toast with the added forces from a dropped arm. A drag link flip in conjunction with a raised trackbar bracket is the way to go!

Cheers

Dropped pitman arms don't really fix anything on any Jeep, but those that don't have a clue about steering geometry still put them on.

That and the fact that the lift kits from the shiny magazine ads all include them propagates the culture.

• BS....If you drop the track bar bracket, which does have benefits in some lift designs, dropping the pitman prevents bump steer. It's basic suspension/steering geometry 101.

Not sure about the JK box though. I raised it at the knuckle instead of dropping it at the pitman per the shiny kit. ;)

• It all depends on what setup gets your drag link and track bar parrallel but thats the goal to eliminate your bump steer. Ive played around with a bunch of setups on mine and what got it nice in the end was a drop pitman but then my drag link mounts on the top rather than bottom of the arm. Although my drag link has a hiem to the pitman and the pitman is drilled for a bigger bolt so I have that option. Stock is tapered for a tie rod end so you wont, plus thats on a tj. Its going to be different depending on lift and steering setup.
    By the way, are you the Jk at the Bellefonte Fire Dept? If so Im one block over and pass your jeep all the time.

• I have a 2.5 inch Rough Country on my Jk and have done nothing with the suspension. For your lift you will need to relocated the track bar on the axel end. I also have a 4 inch Rough country x flex on another Jk again you will need to either relocate the track bar or in this case move up to an adjustable track bar for the front and relocation bracket for the back one. In about 3 yrs you can plan on replacing the springs in the Jeep due to sag. Also the 2.2 shocks are good for about a year before needing replaced.

• Tonka, yeah man thats me, i work at the brandywine hundred fire company full time. im here every 4 days for 24 hours at a time.

and @ stomper, thanks for the heads up i think me and @astapen are going to do the synergy drag link flip kit with the track bar relo bracket as soon as i can find a day off and hook up with him. im already in the hunt for new shocks trying to get it done before i loose the shocks.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!