Rant!!!!!!!!!

• And an economical solution to all of his u-joint problems ;D

LOL, more like an easier way to get home after a failure, without having to unbolt anything (providing it breaks on the pinon side , which it usually does)

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Why would you have to unbolt anything?

Rear shaft ujoin breaks at the pinion. Want to drive home on using front shaft. Without twin sticks , you would have to use 4wd. Thus the broken shaft would turn so you would have to unbolt the shaft from the tcase.

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• Ive got a front auto locker so although its doable....... driving on the street in front wheel drive is friggin scary. Ive done it once and wont do it again unless I have no other choice.

• Trick I learned from aaron is just take an angle grinder to it. Cut out the old U-joint so that the shaft separates and then just smack out the bearing caps from the ears.
    Edit: It is also nice to have a strong vice ;D

• Trick I learned from aaron is just take an angle grinder to it. Cut out the old U-joint so that the shaft separates and then just smack out the bearing caps from the ears.
    Edit: It is also nice to have a strong vice ;D

:laughabove: :laughabove: :laughabove: Thats one way to get shit done!

• Yea a 6" cutting disk on a 4.5" grinder will allow u to cut through the trunion. The heat from grinding helps loosen the cap and once the center is out you can knock the caps out individually. This helps to not bend the ears too.

• Yea a 6" cutting disk on a 4.5" grinder will allow u to cut through the trunion. The heat from grinding helps loosen the cap and once the center is out you can knock the caps out individually. This helps to not bend the ears too.

Of course that requires removing the guard which could lead to this:

http://www.biomedsearch.com/at…15305/1746-160X-4-1-5.jpg

edit by Stafford: changed inline image to linked. NSFW death.

• I havent had a guard on any of my grinders for years....Personally i think they hinder your ability to see what your are doing when cutting. Regardless, that's what these are for

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• Keith, A while back you posted a good video of u-joint removal. The guy stuck the yoke in the vice and popped the joint out with a quick hit of the hammer. Cant seem to find the video...

Found it.......Not on a driveshaft but the same the same technique can be used. I did this recently with good results but i needed a larger hammer and a much harder swing than the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuGHRh17cfo

Edited once, last by 2000sahara ().

• Larger hammer will fix anything.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I havent had a guard on any of my grinders for years....Personally i think they hinder your ability to see what your are doing when cutting. Regardless, that's what these are for

The guards also help protect your hand/fingers from slipping into the wheel.

And the other concern with using wheels larger than the grinder is designed for is that you will almost certainly exceed the RPM rating of the wheel.

I know it's done by many, and usually without incident, but still unsafe IMO.

• Yeah, I wouldn't do that. I had a wheel blow up on me (didn't realize they had been hit by something while resting). :bang:

Scares the hell out of you.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Keith, A while back you posted a good video of u-joint removal. The guy stuck the yoke in the vice and popped the joint out with a quick hit of the hammer. Cant seem to find the video...

Found it.......Not on a driveshaft but the same the same technique can be used. I did this recently with good results but i needed a larger hammer and a much harder swing than the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuGHRh17cfo

Replaced two u joints and centering yoke today. Tried the method in the video, all I can say is awesome, three hard strikes on each side and the caps popped right out, I wish I knew this trick back when I worked in the boat shop, a lot of time spent with a u joint press and on a regular press wasted. Thanks for posting up the video :up:

• Replaced two u joints and centering yoke today. Tried the method in the video, all I can say is awesome, three hard strikes on each side and the caps popped right out, I wish I knew this trick back when I worked in the boat shop, a lot of time spent with a u joint press and on a regular press wasted. Thanks for posting up the video :up:

:up: :up: :driving:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!