Rocker guards/sliders/rails

• So I've finally been able to save some $$ and I've been wanting to get some rocker guards for the YJ. I'm definitely getting some from Zach's shop as I have a 15% off card from the JFJ raffle 2 years ago (yes, I already talked to Zach and he said he'd still accept it). I'm going with the smooth steel (not a big fan of diamond plate) and I also want to get the added step rail as well. I really like the look of the squared rail... ya know square lights and all... and that's more of the main function here, as a step (wife and kids are short). I was thinking of using grippy tape or paint on the top of the step for added traction during rainy/snowy/icy conditions. That's easier to do on a flat surface compared to a rounded one. I was even thinking of asking Zach if he could add the AtoZ Fabrication swag spacer plate to make it more of a step. I also like the flat surface of the square rail in case I ever need to use the Hilift to raise the Jeep from the side

As y'all can see, I'm pretty partial to the square rail and even have myself convinced it's the better of the two. What I want is to ask if y'all have any reason why I should go with the rounded rail instead. Some argue that, if you're in the rocks, the round tube will slide better over an obstacle and won't get hung up as easily. I've even heard that, "They're aerodynamically more efficient." ...seriously, if that's a concern maybe you should drive a Prius. I don't offroad much (even if I'd like to at heart) but that may change in the future. I just want to do this once and be happy instead of regretting it after the fact.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• With only zacks name plate the span is too long and the step will bend. Make sure u get a tube spacer on iher side.

• I was thinking the name plate in addition to the three spacers holding the square tube in place... if he can do it. Just added purchase for the short people's feet.

• Meh, it's personal preference IMHO. I think most of the reasons of round vs. square are to make people feel better about their choice. :laughing:

--Ian

I was thinking the same but as I had no personal experience I figr'd it was safer to ask first.

• I have square. Makes it easier as/for a step up and in, mainly when wet or winter.
    Feet being wet as opposed to guard rail.

• With the square ones and a flat end with a gap in between the rail and the body you have the potential (I've seen crazier things happen) to get a rock in there and rip it from the rail. With the bent round tube it's closed and will slide.

Also, I tried the grip tape on the rails. Sliding out of the jeep + grip tape on the rail + shorts = some nasty scrapes down the back of the thigh. Good idea except for that fatal flaw. I ripped off the rear of the grip tape and kept the part forward of wear the driver would normally exit. That being said, I don't think traction on the tubes are bad to begin with. I still have some grip tape if you want what's left.

So my vote is for round but go for whatever you want.

• You stated that it is primarily a step for your wife and kids. The square tube will provide a larger contact patch for your shoe. Scott (SG1998) has the grippy tape on his and it seems like it will work very well. The square tube will provide a safer step than the round which seems to be the justification you are looking for.

As a side note, Scott also has that tape on his front and rear bumpers which is pretty nice as well. Standing on a powder coated bumper in the wet is slick as can be.

• Thank y'all for all of the response so far! Stafford's argument is the main one I've heard on the [] vs O debate. I have only been to RC twice so even though I do want/need the protective aspect, the rail itself is for the main part going to be utilized as a step. I agree, the square step has a better surface for footing but if I get the A2Z plate added then both rail types are about equal in that aspect. I guess, like Ian stated, it's primarily more of a personal preference... and I do like the looks of the square rails so square it is.

I didn't think about the torn up legs, Geoff. That's a good thing to note. One option that I've used before was a non-slip marine grade epoxy that we used in my dad's boat. It worked really well and I don't remember it being too rough on bare feet. Maybe some spray on bedliner with the rubber bits in it.. dunno for sure but I'll deal with that once I get the rocerk guards.

But hey, looks like I'll be ordering my rails today at least! ;D

• Jeremy, Zach offers a perforated step option that goes between the rail and rocker. It can be full length or literally just a step set at entry point.. I t kind of looks like the poison spyder setup. I use to have some pics that he sent me but I deleted them. The extra cost was minimal for the extra steel and the addition of a good solid stepping surface. I am hoping to order a set over the winter. Just contact Zach and he can email pictures of work he has done for other customers.

• I'm interested in looking at getting a set also but not sure on the brand. I want something that will go to the bottom of the door opening. Looking on the a-z website some appear to go higher than others. Anyone have any on their tj? I'd like to see some pictures and hear input!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!