• Just cleaned off the diff tag and found out why I cant get out of my own way. 3.07 gears. :censored:
    SO i am going to buy some 4.10s or 4.11s and I need a good place or someone willing to work with me to regear the TJ.
    Does anyone have the experience level to do this or know a good shop? :help: [size=78%] [/size]

• I do gears. I would reccomend usa gear or yukon for gear choice and for master install kits. The cheaper master install kits leave parts out. Motive gear is also good.

• USA Gear is what I was looking at so i think it will be my choice :spinrhead:

• Yes there is a carrier break so numerically higher carriers of full carrier lockers will be needed. Sometimes with a d44 thick gears can be used with the original carrier. When u buy the gears the seller should be able to match u up with all the correct parts. I do not supply parts .

Do u know if the back axle is a d44 or d35?

• I will get the other carrier as well and I have the list done now for the MONEY..... :upset:

• I wouldn't regear a Dana 35. For the money you spend on gears and a set of bearings you could find an 8.8 that just may be already geared to 4.10.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Its a tj so upgrading an axle can get expensive. Buying stock axles from a 4cyl tj would give u 4.10 gears and easily swap in. It would be more work 4 u but much cheaper.

• I thought the 8.8s had coil spring buckets.

Everything is a whole different world from a CJ.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I thought the 8.8s had coil spring buckets.

Everything is a whole different world from a CJ.

I believe they only came with spring-under leaf perches, so all of the XJs and TJs still need to get new brackets. The perches are spaced 1.25" narrower than a YJ, not sure about CJ width.

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• there are also some kits out there to beef up the rears as well. any suggestions on any? :help:

• its a waste for folks who can afford a $4000 plus new set up and are going to rock crawl alot. I am going for very light crawling and more on road and sand off roading.

• its a waste for folks who can afford a $4000 plus new set up and are going to rock crawl alot. I am going for very light crawling and more on road and sand off roading.

I would beg to differ....a used 8.8 plus the $350 retail Artec bracket kit (they have pretty regular sales) is money WELL spent even for someone just driving on the road. Throwing away money at a d35 is a waste any way you look at it. If you already intend to regear you're $$ ahead just finding an 8.8 w/ 4.10's, disk brakes, and (possibly) an LSD.

--Ian

• Eric,

Dana 44 are better than the 35 for sure but people dont want to part with them cheaply.

• do the 8.8's bolt right in? and do they have drum breaks?

Disks on most and with the addition of the bracket kit, yes, it'd bolt in. Given you're regearing I'd say it'd be approx a wash if you intended to go with 4.10's....by the time you get gears, install kit, new carrier, and pay for labor to set them up you're likely at the same $$ as buying the bracket kit and having someone weld it on.

--Ian

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!