• Been working on fixing up a stock 2000 cherokee. Picked it up for cheap. Wasn't running and had. even sitting for a while. Threw in a new alternator and new serpentine belt, flushed radiator, changed oil, new battery and cleaned out all the leaves and birds nests from under the hood. Interior is another story. Starts up and runs but having an issue somewhere. Runs great cold but as it warms up engine smokes. Smells almost as if something is burning under the hood. If you put your hand near the engine it feels real hot but it's running around 210 on the gauge nothing more. When I changed the oil it was under 6 qts and dark. Coolant looked like it hadn't been done in a while and was almost brown. Not sure where to go next or what to do as far as getting it on the road. Bought it to use as a second vehicle and beach rig/ trail rig but it's been a garage queen for weeks. Any Ideas? I can figure things out with guidance but by no means am I a mechanic. :doh:

• 210 is pretty warm but if you used antifreeze mix then it's probably not boiling out somewhere. Could be a stuck thermostat making it run hotter than normal, they get crusty when not in regular use and start to stick. By engine smoke I guess you mean coming off the engine? Might be burning off residue left when you were changing fluids, or 210 is hotter than it used to run and so some stuff is burning off that didn't at lower temp. It should probably run about 195 or less, especially this time of year.

• if the rad fliud was brown it might be a head gasket or cracked head issue. this works for testing. r there any codes?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lis…12=19654714&wl13=&veh=sem

• 2000 and 2001 had 0331 heads known for cracking. Any signs of coolant in oil (milky brown looking stuff).
    If smoking off engine, could be valve cover gasket is shot.

XJ's with 4.0 DO feel very hot when you lift the hood.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

• 210 is the normal temp for the 4.0, so you're ok there.

Check the oil for signs of muddy water in the oil, might look like clay if you look into the valve cover.

The coolant could be from mixing coolant types, or could be from a bad gasket or cracked head. I'd monitor that regularly for the color changing, some is likely from residue in the system, though.

Any chance the smoke could just be water and junk cooking out of the exhaust pipe from sitting so long?

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Any chance the smoke could just be water and junk cooking out of the exhaust pipe from sitting so long?

That was my first thought. Determine the smell; does it smell like buring rubber, electrical, oil, anti-freeze.....? Also try to pin point were the smell is coming from (which can be difficult with the engine fan running. If it's been sitting that long and animals appear to have gotten under the hood, it could be an exposed wire melting on the exhaust manifold or other hot spot on the engine.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Agreed about what some of the others have said.

Cherokees always feel hot under the hood. 210* is normal operating temp.

Your 2000 is one of the Cherokees notorious for the head cracking. The brown coolant could simply be from it sitting for a while and there is some oxidation in the cooling system. With the symptoms of smoke from under the hood along with the discolored coolant, my first suspicions would be a gasket and/or cracked head. Slimer is right to try to identify the smell.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Edited 2 times, last by altierior ().

• That was my first thought. Determine the smell; does it smell like buring rubber, electrical, oil, anti-freeze.....?

or if it smells like dinner, maybe it's one of those critters that had taken up residence.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

• You can pressure test the cooling system and look for leaks.
    Please don't start pouring stop leak stuff in it,whatever you do.
    I think you can put a 4.0 HO head on it if you need to replace it.
    If these guys say 210 is good I've got to believe them, I've never run one myself. I think at this point I would drive it for a while and see if it cooks off or not.

• The smells almost seems electrical. if you pop the hood then start the jeep and let it run you don't notice it for a while unless your at the right angle. coolant has looked fine and so has the oil yet I haven't let it run long being there is an issue. I pulled it out of the garage to clean the engine and make sure nothing was sitting there burning off and put it back. don't want to run it and have it damage anything more or catch fire. going to check the thermostat this weekend. hasn't thrown any codes. everything seems to run as it should except for the smoking and shifty breaks since I haven't replaced them yet. the smoke starts out almost under the engine closer to the windshield then assume it runs works it way closer to the front near the grill. I dropped a little water near one of the fuel injectors yesterday and it boiled with how hot it was under the hood. starting to think imore gonna be in to deep on this project

• Just for sh@ts and giggles, check all the fuses, make sure the right amperage is in the right slots and also look for "custom fuses" made out of pieces of wire, pennies, bullet casings...

You never know what a previous owner did to bypass a problem. I'm wondering if you have a circuit getting over loaded. Also thinking you may have something grounding out (frayed wire rubbing on something metal)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Ive been working on one that had a bad valve cover gasket for quite some time. A lot of oil had run down under the manifolds and along the bottom edge of both. If you look up under the drivers side you would see oil there, and dripping down the rear of the block. It smoked every time it heated up until I got under there and cleaned it off with some brakleen.

• ...if you pop the hood then start the jeep and let it run you don't notice it for a while unless your at the right angle.

Don't sniff at it while at a right angle.

~ JD

• Does the oil pressure gauge on the dash read anything? If so, its likely your just burning off old oil and junk from the motor. As other have said, 210*F is right where the Cherokee should be running, and yes, things do get very hot under the hood and even on the outside surface of the hood.

As long as you know the oil pressure is good (telltale sign of a cracked manifold is low or fluctuating oil pressure) I would let it run and see if it eventually burns off whatever is smoking.

• All gauges read fine. Going to crawl underneath tonight to check wiring and make sure no oil is leaking like mentioned earlier. All fuses are good last I checked because I had a headlight issue and checked all when I was figuring that out. Going to check back over them tonight to make sure they aren't over amped. Hopefully this thing will act right soon.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!