Stocker vs. Modified

• This post is simply food for thought. It is not meant to start another website rivalry and is all in fun.

What defines stock and modified? To me stock is anything with which the Jeep comes equipped from the factory, including factory options.
    I would think that if this is an accurate definition, that 99.99% of the Jeeps in DeJA (and the Jeeps belonging to guests who post here) could be classified as modified.

As soon as someone puts a bikini top, half top, anything after-market or just different wheels/tires, even if they're the same size as the ones replaced, then the Jeep is modified. I'd be interested if any of the so-called stock Jeeps truly are stock. Anybody? Not even Joo can say that. He installed a CB radio and antenna and they're not factory equipment.

So what do you guys think, is a mod only considered a mod if it changes the performance capablilities or do cosmetic and/or non-mechanical equipment add-ons count as mods too?

Got ya thinking, huh? :hmm:

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

Edited once, last by ().

• Quote from "SarasGP"

Anybody? Not even Joo can say that. He installed a CB radio and antenna and they're not factory equipment.

So what do you guys think, is a mod only considered a mod if it changes the performance capablilities or do cosmetic and/or non-mechanical equipment add-ons count as mods too?

And there are a few things you can't forget! :rollsmile:

There's the dual BCfire exstinguishers (coast guard approved), rubber mats, the mounted speaker for the cb, and the modified right front fender my proud trail damage).......and on that CB antenna flying high is that DeJA flag!

P.S. - Sara you have a modified soft top...got tape on it!

:peace:

• I'd say once you put a Lift bigger then a BB + anything bigger then 31's your no longer stock, again not to start rivalry, I think a 2" budget boost and 31's on a wrangler or cherokee is plenty to get all the blues (maybe even blacks If the driver cares nothing for his/her body damage) done depending on the driver and spotter, but I still consider It "stock". It all depends on the vehicle though, for a wrangler Its not hard to get 31's on with no Lift, for a XJ 31's is a hell of an accomplishment! But Just cause a vehicle is bone stock dont mean It cant handle some big boy stuff, with the right driver and spotter Im sure you can make It through most obsticles

02&#39; F250 SD w/ 285&#39;s and 17x9 1079&#39;s<br />99&#39; XJ w/ 8&quot; and 35&#39;s - GONE!<br /><br />I miss wheeling! :(

• i wouldn't split hairs that much.

to me

a modified vehicle, in terms of what we are looking for, is one that has had modifications to the suspension, or alterations the the axles (changing gears or adding lockers-not factory limited slips). motor work (intakes, headers, exhaust on an otherwise stock motor) and other stuff is technically modifying a vehicle but i don't count that for our scenario.

i don't count accessories such as bikini tops and cb's and the like.

i also think changing tire size is included with that. obviously you have to modify the suspension for 31" plus tire sizes.

for the sport tj putting 31's on is modified. obviously for a rubicon it is factory.

I too, am with stupid<br />87XJ&nbsp;(gone), 97 ZJ W 31&quot; MT&#039;s (gone), 04 TJ W 3&quot; procomp springs/ 33&quot; BFG&nbsp; MT&#039;S (gone)<br />87 YJ- SOA - 39.5 Swampers-111&quot; wheel base, 4 link front, Atlas, 14 bolt, Dana 60 and stuff

• I agree with Paul on this one.

Adding cosmetic changes (bikini top, lights, etc) is not going to change your performance off-highway. I think suspension, axles, gearing, tires and the like that will allow the vehicle to do more than it could as a stock vehicle would be modified. For our use anyway, the term "modified" should relate to changes that will increase what it can do off-highway.

I don't have an idea though of where a line could be drawn between stock and modified vehicles. As pointed out, a Jeep with a BB and 31's and the right driver, could do the same trails, up to a point, as a more modified vehicle. It all comes down to the experience and comfort level of the driver.

• So what your saying is if you put a Deja sticker on the side of your jeep it is modified? If that is your goals for modifying your jeep and then tout it as being modified I think that you may raise a few eyebrows. I would hope that people describe their vehicles accurately, especially around other 4x4 clubs.
    Since we are getting people thinking I will throw this one out there. Before I joined this club I had heard the following descriptions of the club:

1. Whiners not wheelers.
    2. If it's not bolt on, it doesn't exist.
    3. Stocker friendly, hardcore disfavored.
    4. Willing to wheel, not willing to learn to fix.

These are just a few of the perceptions that I was given when asking jeep owners on the street about the club. All of the statements above have one thing in common....they are consistent with being closed-minded. This kept me from joining the club for a long time. I eventually became friends with a couple members that changed my mind about the club and decided to become a member. I recently read the post "Future Stocker Rides" ....what a bunch of BS. One guy has problems with his Jeep on a few consecutive trail rides and a 7 page thread is started to limit 35" in tires on stocker rides. I understand that the post was started by Keith_C and it is the opinion of only one member, but c'mon folks this club is better than that. My point is that Deja members do plenty of good things to help the community and project a positive image of the club. Let's not let a few people make the club look like a bunch of whiners.
    When a member states that his/her jeep is "modified" I would hope that is not because they put a speaker box in the back and a hi-lift jack on the bumper. Our jeeps are what they are, call them like you see them, don't mislead people into thinking your jeep is something that it is not. Everyone wants to think their jeep is more capable than the next jeep, however we have to be realistic. Everyone in the club has different uses for their jeeps. Some people drive them on the street, some don't. Some drive them on the beach, some on the rocks, some both. I joined the club because I have something in common with you folks....I own a jeep.
    So, if you think your jeep is modified then call it modified. If you think it is stock call it stock, if you think you are a rock god, say you are a rock god, but be honest with yourself and your fellow members, because your not doin anyone any good by lying about it.

So what do you guys think, is a mod only considered a mod if it changes the performance capablilities

I am sorry I can’t help but post –

I just have a digital tire gauge. By your definition, my TJ should be classified as a modified Jeep because I use to it air down for improving the off-pavement (I don’t mean off-road) capability. I don’t know what the objective of the classification is, but it is important to “underDawg” that she is NOT a stock TJ.

Please be kind. :soapbox:

• Every club has their own rants. I write on 3 or 4 forums and everyone of them has had their share of "issues". It's the nature of the beast. We're no different.

A member had a suggestion and asked for others opinions. That's all. All it took was one show of arrogance to turn it into an attack unfortunately. That's something with which I'm unhappy.

Based on a standard Jeeps stock set up, I'd say:

Modified would begin at 32" tires with some form of suspension lift.

Hard Core would being at 35" tires, a locker of some sort front and back, and of course some sort of suspension lift.

These are pretty vague for a reason. An experienced driver can get a less modified vehicle up a tougher course easier than an inexperienced driver can. Because of this, the vehicles ability to tackle various obstacles will vary.

I say leave it up to the vehicle owner. Give someone three attempts to tackle an obstacle. Then strap them.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "SarasGP"

This post is simply food for thought. It is not meant to start another website rivalry and is all in fun.
    :hmm:

:laughing: :laughing: You can't be serious... never happens around here.

• hey john dont for get the "stupid" category. Where everyone says its stupid to go that big or extreme.

• Quote from "1TonTJ"

hey john dont for get the "stupid" category. Where everyone says its stupid to go that big or extreme.

:hmm: Stupid is as stupid does. :updown:

I didn't realize there was a another division after Hard Core. I guess I've been out it longer than I thought. :doh:

For lack of a more "PC" term, they'd probably be Hard Cores where the only thing not modified on the Jeep is the name plate. A rather vague description I guess.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "underDAWG"

I just have a digital tire gauge.

The distinction would then be if it is a CHROME digital tire gauge, known as BLING, or a real digital tire gauge with brass and rubber fittings. A non-chrome gauge (or non-gold, but only in some neighborhoods) would obviously indicate that you truly are a "wheeler" and therefore due some level of respect. This is a recent rule change by the way, previously DIGITAL was considered BLING, or worse...POSER, in most respects, but with the advent of digital DVD/GPS/CD/MP3 combos, some modifications to the rules were deemed necessary.

DrJ :smlove:

• I consider my TJ basically stock. If a stock Jeep just adds protection, I'd consider it stock only because we tend to look at mods in terms of trail-capability over protection. But even that is a fine line because skids allow you consider more difficult trails.

Just my 2¢

DrJ

• A few of you have it dead on.

When we say "modified" we are usually talking in general about the vehicles trail difficulty potential.

Stocker would be any jeep that has relatively low ground clearance and no aftermarket traction enhancing device. Those are the two biggest areas that hold a vehicle back from the more difficult trails, aside from operator skill.

By modified we mean that the vehicle has better than stock ground clearance, and possibly, an aftermarket traction enhancing device in at least one axle. Also for the modified group, there is a general assumption that protection has been taken into account, at least somewhat.

For the hardcore group, we generally mean that the vehicle has considerably more ground clearance, an aftermarket traction enhancing device in both axles, protection, for both the vehicle and people, spare parts, mechanical ability, tools, and generally not too much hatred of body damage.

The "stupid" group... well now we are talking huge axles, very low crawl, huge tires, massive amounts of testosterone, and no love at all for flat, straight sheetmetal! Or just having the name "Alan". :D

P.S.
    I've seen underdogs digital tire gauge, that thing is SWEET, that thing I think bumps his rig up into the hardcore group! Its that bad a$$! ;)

• Ok, now I have another question. Has anyone ever seen a NASCAR vehicle being driven on the highway? They're about as far from stock as you can get, yet the National Association for Stock Car Racing must consider them stock cars. So-called modifieds that are raced generally look like a cage with sheet metal like some of the rock crawlers.

Yes, I do know the history of NASCAR and that originally they WERE stock cars tuned to the max. I'm just making another inane observation.

I think it's really interesting how everyone has a different definition of stock and modified. So far I've seen very valid (and diverse) points.

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• The clubs reason for giving a "stock" "modified" and "hardcore" title to a Jeep is strictly for trail worthyness.

NASCAR roots actually go farther back then origionaly being "stock cars tuned to the max". It was born out of prohibition.

• Quote from "SarasGP"

Ok, now I have another question. Has anyone ever seen a NASCAR vehicle being driven on the highway? They're about as far from stock as you can get, yet the National Association for Stock Car Racing must consider them stock cars. So-called modifieds that are raced generally look like a cage with sheet metal like some of the rock crawlers.

Yes, I do know the history of NASCAR and that originally they WERE stock cars tuned to the max. I'm just making another inane observation.

I think it's really interesting how everyone has a different definition of stock and modified. So far I've seen very valid (and diverse) points.

The same goes for the NUROC competition. Their "Stock" is about as far from "STOCK" as you can get and keep it legal on the road.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Quote from "Slimer"

The same goes for the NUROC competition. Their "Stock" is about as far from "STOCK" as you can get and keep it legal on the road.

not really.
    first, its called stock modified class. its a stock vehicle that had been modified to fit 35" tires and do well enough to compete. it still retains the body, frame, and all that stuff.
    i would say unlimited class is about as far from stock as you can get.
    look at Torbett's rig. the thing rides in new holland axles with 4 wheel steer.

to answer the question, a modified jeep is one that has the suspension changed to after market, the tires and rims changes to not factory, and gears/ lockers.
    i would say 31" and under are still stock as most of them still look stock.
    the average joe would know it wasn't from the factory that way.
    I see the club as mostly stock. its a stock friendly club. those with all types are welcome. some on here hardly ever wheel, and some go at least monthly if not more. its good to have a club like this.

but as stated, the classes are not used to classify jeeps, just the trails. after all, ian driving a mostly stock tj with out lockers or gears made it thru most of rouch creek on alot of black trails with minimal help.
    if thats not a testimate of driver skill i know what to tell ya...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!