Anybody have this problem with their XJ?

• [color=rgb(255, 192, 203)][size=medium]What a freaking morning!!! Ok so this is the 3rd time my jeep has done this to me and made me almost total it on 295 :( when i going the speed limit ill hit a bump and the whole jeep shakes til i stop. it feels like the tire is going to fall off and scares the crap outta me. Its done it to me on the Del Mem Bridge and i could only go 35 across it at night. BUT it doesn't do it all the time and doesn't do it when my husband drives and I don't drive like him, i try to take care of it. Please and suggestions as to what could be causing it. Oh yea I tried to move the tire when I got to work and it doesn't even move[/size][/color] :shrug: :bsflag:

• [color=black(255, 192, 203)][size=medium]What a freaking morning!!! Ok so this is the 3rd time my jeep has done this to me and made me almost total it on 295 :( when i going the speed limit ill hit a bump and the whole jeep shakes til i stop. it feels like the tire is going to fall off and scares the crap outta me. Its done it to me on the Del Mem Bridge and i could only go 35 across it at night. BUT it doesn't do it all the time and doesn't do it when my husband drives and I don't drive like him, i try to take care of it. Please and suggestions as to what could be causing it. Oh yea I tried to move the tire when I got to work and it doesn't even move[/size][/color] :shrug: :bsflag:

I had to change that color. It was torture reading it on my screen.

Google the web or search this site for "Death Wobble".

Check track bar, steering linkage, tire balance, bushing wear, etc. Make sure everything is tight.

• Sorry wasnt thinking bout that (color) lol and thanks for the info thats EXACTLY what its doing. Ive had other jeeps and none did this, kinda scary though. I will definitely print the page i found because it makes me scared to drive it

• Also check ball joints. My guess is steering linkage ends need replaced.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I'd guess that stuff is worn out plus the "toe" alignment is off, too. Assuming it's the metal expansion plates that start the shaking. At any rate, hope you get it fixed quickly, it's a pain! :)

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• Yea i need it fixed cuz its my daily driver, I drive 6 days a week from Jersey to Delaware and its kinda scary since I have no phone :-\ well thanks guys i hope its fixed soon

• I will have to check when i get home, i dont understand the whole thing as to why it only does it with me, it makes me not wanna drive it but i like it too much lol

• I will have to check when i get home, i dont understand the whole thing as to why it only does it with me, it makes me not wanna drive it but i like it too much lol

Sometimes the ones we love hurt ... My jeep hurts my wallet, bank account, paycheck, verbal restraint, heart, blood pressure.... :doh:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• It's been my experience that more aggressive driving driving doesnt induce death wobble as easy as smooth sedentary driving. I have nothing scientific to back this up, but it seemed like very slow/smooth acceleration allowed the wobble to develop while more responsive driving seemed to make enough changes in accel/decel patterns to sometimes keep it at bay. :shrug:

For cheap diagnosis, sometimes a simple tire rotation can help pinpoint a balancing problem. Checking the torque on the track bar and control arms is also a free start.

• It's been my experience that more aggressive driving driving doesnt induce death wobble as easy as smooth sedentary driving. I have nothing scientific to back this up, but it seemed like very slow/smooth acceleration allowed the wobble to develop while more responsive driving seemed to make enough changes in accel/decel patterns to sometimes keep it at bay. :shrug:

For cheap diagnosis, sometimes a simple tire rotation can help pinpoint a balancing problem. Checking the torque on the track bar and control arms is also a free start.

Yea he definitely does drive more aggressive then me lol we had talked about swappin the back tires with the front thinkin it might be the front tires but he hasnt had a chance to do it, i work 6 days a week from 9-8 so im never home for him to do it except sundays

• make him get underneath and you hop in the comfy driver seat and turn the wheel wherever he sees slop change that part. dont turn from full left to full right that will put a hurting on your power steering pump for no reason just enough to see the slop should be within a half a turn on the wheel. also instead of getting it aligned multiple times change the problem part and try it again before you get it aligned to save some cash. good luck. oh and also if you put the tire in the air and try to wiggle it top and bottom that will let you know your bearings are out and need to be replaced but its a castle nut and may be a little loose because of the cotter pin and side to side will let you know its the steering if you cant get help doing the latter you could try that by yourself good luck

• Thanks for the help ugh since it hasn't done it to him hes not worrying about it so im going to end up looking up how to do it, (plus with our work schedule its hard) but yal really helped me with suggestion

• I just went through this. 90% is usually the track bar connections at either end are loose. Doesn't mean other issues aren't causing this, but start there. Even if something looks tight have someone turn the wheel while someone else checks all connections like stated above. (while jeep ISN'T moving obviously)

• Ok so got it into a shop to see how much for new tires and come to find out i need an alignment. my front tires got a lil bow shape to them and nothings loose so i feel a lil better

• Ok so got it into a shop to see how much for new tires and come to find out i need an alignment. my front tires got a lil bow shape to them and nothings loose so i feel a lil better

What do you mean by "bow shape" ?

You talking about the way they are worn, or the way the tire/wheel sits ?

• I just went through this. 90% is usually the track bar connections at either end are loose. Doesn't mean other issues aren't causing this, but start there. Even if something looks tight have someone turn the wheel while someone else checks all connections like stated above. (while jeep ISN'T moving obviously)

X2 try this before you go to any shop

• make him get underneath and you hop in the comfy driver seat and turn the wheel wherever he sees slop change that part.

There are so many different things it could be - trackbar, control arms, ball joints, or tie-rod ends, to name a few - and I have found this 'turning the wheel' method to be one of the most efficient ways of diagnosing the problem. Other candidates (like tire balancing, alignment, and hub bearings) will not diagnosed this way.

90% is usually the track bar connections at either end are loose. Doesn't mean other issues aren't causing this, but start there.

Agreed. Of the many possible causes, some of which I mentioned above, the trackbar is always most likely at fault: bad bushings and/or loose connections. I even have seen one instance on an XJ where the bushings and connections were good, but there was a small crack on the 'frame' where the trackbar bracket is mounted, allowing a tiny amount of movement; welding a reinforcement plate onto the frame solved that one.

~ JD
    * WARNING - The above post may contain trace elements of biting sarcasm. Those with known sensitivities should avoid staring directly at it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!