Bed lining the entire Jeep

• Hey all I was thinking of bed lining my entire body outside of the Jeep once the paint is scratched up enough. I would be doing this myself at my house. I plan on keeping the JK. I do not plan to trade it in or sell it so I am not worried about resale value.

I am wanting feedback on what you all think. Good for off road I know it wont scratch but will it offer any other protection against dents or light damage? Negative effects like weight or trouble cleaning? Any rust protection benefit?

I would be using a smoother bed liner not one that is super rough.

• I would think it would add a little bit of dent protection, since it is bed lining after all, but not too much. It will however add a few pounds, but I wouldn't necessarily worry about that.

That'll look pretty badass!

• Dont do it... I did some of the exterior of mine and wish I hadn't..

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I plan on doing the entire Jeep with bedliner, thinned down so it's not the ugly course surface and w/o the rubber chucks in it. There is a guy that is very active on one of the Jeep forums (don't remember which offhand) that is a supplier. His customer service is excellant, and you tell him what you want the end product to be / look like and he'll run some test patches at his business to help you figure out exactly how much to reduce the mixture, and it is tintable.
    http://monstaliner.com/
    The website also has quite a few pictures and 'how to' videos. It's where i will be getting my kits from.

If you need wrenching advice feel free to ask! Others experience can be a good way to save time and money!

• I saw a Tundra the other day where the whole exterior had been bed lined....it didn't look so hot. Have seen it here and there on a few older XJs and it didn't look terrible...but I think it would be a pretty big gamble.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

• I spray polyurea coatings (think LineX). We do secondary containment and tank linings. Great product, that holds up increadibly well. I don't typically do truck beds but have sprayed 20 to 30 over the years. I realize you are talking about the DIY kits which I have never used. I just sprayed the inside of my JK for rust protection. For what its worth I have a 100k spray rig and could do whatever I wanted to my JK for free. I will only coat areas that I want durable protection from rust and abrasion. while some commercial bedliner materials may help prevent small dents (a sprayed hood in a hale storm) they do not offer alot of dent protection. The main benefit is the abrasion resistance and corrosion resistance they offer. They are typically very flexiable so if you do dent the sheet metal the coating will flex (unlike paint) and not allow corrison to start. They are also extremely abrasion resistant (ie bulldoze through the bushes with no scratches to the metal). Most bedliners are "aromatic" material (not color stable) and will fade and chalk from UV (does not effect its durabilty, just its color). I can purchase color stable material (alaphatic) at a steep upcharge but all materal fades. If it is your trail rig and you don't want the scratches rusting then go for it. If you want it to be glossy and pretty I wouldn't do it. Me personaly would not spray it on the outside of my rig. also as Knoxrents said it does ad a bit of weight. I used about 7 gallons to coat the inside of my JK (alittle overkill but it was leftover material from a job!)
    On a side note this material is used for bomb blast mitigation on humvees and goverment buildings due to its durabilty and high elongation!

• I ordered some color samples from Monstaliner that should be here soon. I'm doing the interiror (hopefully soon). If you want to take a look at them and see what they're like just let me know.

I'm of the same mind as a few others.... although I'm pretty sure it would keep the scratches and lighter dings from getting to the metal it would probably look pretty awful. It's all personal taste tho...

Good pics to get some ideas here.....
    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum…eriors-exteriors-1376308/

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• The monstaliner link specifies UV perminent . I would like to see some product after a year of sun light . For a trail rig this would be ok , just not sure about a dd. Interesting tho.

• The monstaliner link specifies UV perminent . I would like to see some product after a year of sun light . For a trail rig this would be ok , just not sure about a dd. Interesting tho.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing regarding the UV exposure and fading. I'm probably going to do Zombie Sunset (orange) which is a color that is pretty susceptible to fading from the ravages of the sun (like reds, yellows, etc.)..... and if it fades in a few years I'll go with the ? Quartz (dark gray) which should completely hide the lighter color under it if need be.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!