JK steering - What's the best system?

• For the TJ, the Currie was and still is my go to steering system. :censored: ing bulletproof.

Is it still the same for JK's or is there something better?

I have a semi-loose TRE on both the drag link and tie-rod so I'm trying to talk myself into some kind of upgrade. Help a brutha out.

• I cant speak for the Jk but as for kits in general. The Currie is the best for strength and on road performance because its modeled after the stock inverted y setup but beefy as hell. The Rock Krawler and Iron Rock Offroad over the knuckle cross over kits are great for flex and also bullet proof but knuckle to knuckle kits are more prone to dw if its not setup perfectly or if there is any give/wear in your other parts. O and the ruggid ridge kit is as expected, garbage. I cant speak for any other kits because those are all I have experience with. I run the IRO kit and its an awesome setup, tons of clearance and easily supports the weight of the vehicle so no chance of anything bending. I also like it because its all hiem joints so more flex.

• Yeah. I like that the Currie keeps the Ackerman angle correct on the TJ as opposed to the crossover styles like ORO and others but the JK is set up with a crossover from the factory so it'll be a little different.

I'll check out that synergy set-up. They seem to have a bunch of good products. I just got some slick ball joints for my JK from them.

(And if you haven't broken it Steve....that's good enough for me.) :innocent:

• Just to input my .02 on this... I bought the used poly setup from spedly, New joints should be here today, other than that, I'm confident that thing will outlast my rig.. even after the beating Steve put it through! Another plus is that it is adjustable on the vehicle with out removing the TRE (maybe im just lazy..) Also the synergy Metal on metal 1 ton TRE's for $30 a piece seem like a no brainer to me.

I had a chance to see the currie setup for the first time up at rausch this weekend on Hogwilds 4 dr, Gotta say im less than impressed as im sure he will also agree. The joint that currie use are their own design, not a standard TRE like the Poly or RK. They are far larger and may not clear a smaller diameter wheel (just by eyeballing this)..

He has been having issues with getting the joint taper to properly fit into the knuckle with the supplied currie bushings that the joint uses.

As we were spotting him through a rock garden on saturday, All of the joints seemed loose and not up to the task. The tie rod itself despite its size deflected quite a bit when it came in contact with the rocks, pretty sure it had some character after a few of those.

If you are considering the currie setup, I would consider talking with Hogwild about his experience... may sway your opinion!

• I love my currie lift kit, but in my opinion their tie rod leaves a lot to be desired. I bought it in march,didnt have the time to install it till sept, 4 days befor I went to RC with wane & his coworker. he bent the crap out of his tire rod , they had a stock replacement one so he bought it & we installed it.after that we stuck to greens & blues. on one of these trails I caught a rock & bent the currie in to the dif cover. wen I called them about it I was asked if I used it in a offroad application ,I answered yes & was told It wasn't meant for that. in oct. it went in for inspection it didn't pass because the tie rod end joints were shot. on top of the joint is a thin metal cap (to keep out the dirt)on top of that was a neoprene doughnut to keep the cap in place. the drivers side completely disintagrated & a small piece survived on the pass side. also both the joints unscrewed from the ends about a 1/4 inch because of this the caps were rubed almost all the way through.i called currie about this new problem & was asked to send pictures, I did,after several days wating I called back & was told that they don't warranty any parts & they couldn't do anything (why ask for pictures?) was also told I could buy replacement joints if I wanted. after I told him what I really thought about that idea he said he would send new caps & neoprene, big deal , the joints are still bad. I payed a lot of money for a heavy paper weight. its off & I'm probably going with a synergy. if anybody wants it i'll make you a great deal!!!

• Wow!! I cant believe they dident take care of you! Those kits are top of the line expensive, they should come with top of the line warranty and customer service!

• Wow!! I cant believe they dident take care of you! Those kits are top of the line expensive, they should come with top of the line warranty and customer service!

X2 - For $1100, there should be a lifetime warranty with Team Currie mechanics flying out to replace it when it breaks. LOL.

Thanks for the heads up haugwild. Good feedback guys. I'm glad I posted.

• whats a redneck ram? fyi when you figure out what you want, ask whom ever you buy it from about warranty & extended warranties you can get . 4WD offers one , didn't know that until I called them about the problems with my tie rod, hind sight sucks & is always 20/20!

• Redneck ram is hydro assist from west Texas offroad. I was going to port and tap the new box I have but they offer a swap out program with a new higher output pump, ram, lines, Heims, and rebuilt box with stronger sector shaft for $600 bucks. The money saved by DIYing my own hydro assist doesn't outweigh the ease of installing their kit IMO.

• Redneck ram is hydro assist from west Texas offroad. I was going to port and tap the new box I have but they offer a swap out program with a new higher output pump, ram, lines, Heims, and rebuilt box with stronger sector shaft for $600 bucks. The money saved by DIYing my own hydro assist doesn't outweigh the ease of installing their kit IMO.

IIRC someone around here had a bad experience with them. Sometimes you do get what you pay for. Just make sure before you buy...

I am surprised to hear of Currie not standing behind their product. My TJ system was excellent and Currie was very responsive when I had questions or needed parts/tools/support.

• Just ask Sal what he thinks of redneck ram. In reality you should just same up a little more money and get the psc kit. Not that they are always perfect, but they do rebuild there products with all new parts and really stand behind there products.

Aaron

• IIRC someone around here had a bad experience with them. Sometimes you do get what you pay for. Just make sure before you buy...

I am surprised to hear of Currie not standing behind their product. My TJ system was excellent and Currie was very responsive when I had questions or needed parts/tools/support.

I think Ed (TheMistaken) did a West Texas Off Road ram and had some problems. It could have just been a fluke thing though. You never know.

AGR has been good to me and PSC's customer service is in a league if it's own so they seem like the "go to" steering company.

The Currie response is surprising but word of mouth spreads quickly in the off road community so they better be careful they aren't getting to cocky.

• Before aaron completely rebuilt the jeep, there was a redneck ram on the tj from when Ed had it. Thing bent and sheared coming down the outside of trail 5 hill climb. Full hydro so much better :innocent:

• So I finally remembered that my tie rod end was about to kill me so I broke down and bought a Synergy rod from Quadratec. I feel like it's the best bang for the buck from what I've seen.

I have their ball joints and love them and this rod is no different. The rod is more than I'll ever need and the ends look as tough as their ball joints. I bought the stabilizer mount too although I HATE the angles it makes me put the stabilizer on. It's pretty far off plane which is far from ideal. :( Time to relocate the axle side mount.

Stupid newbie question....shouldn't a stabilizer be neutral? (As in not retract or extend when not under load.) For some reason I remember the ones I've installed including this Blistein one on my JK not extending when not under load but this one acted more like a shock when I took it off. :shrug:

Here it is ready to crush some speed bumps and beach accesses.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!