New Jersey surf tag???

• Can anyone here give me any insight on what new jerseys equivalent to delawares surf tag is. I'll possibly be spending some time at "the shore" this summer instead of my beloved Bethany beach and if I'm gonna be there, might as well make the best of it!!

• jersey doesn't have a one tag fits all program. I am pretty sure that the only state park accessible beach is Island Beach State Park. Most other vehicle accessible beaches are tagged by the municipality that the beach is within. I had the Island Beach tag, which can be purchased at the park office and I also held a Brigantine beach tag which was purchased at the Brigantine Police Department and has a set limit on how many tags are sold per calendar year.

• I got a 404 error with that link.

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I used to hang out on the Brigantine beach alot through High School and College. It is pretty small and sees a lot of activity from boats/jetskis/kids swimming. I don't really remember a whole lot of lines in the water. We used to launch our jetskis on the bay while the girls drove the cherokee out on the beach. We would hang out all day tearing it up on the skis and grilling on the beach. I miss those days.

I still have 3 jet skis in my back yard to get rid of.

• I still have 3 jet skis in my back yard to get rid of.

Hmm... I have space to store them and access to the Chesapeake Bay not 500 yards from my house...

I used to think about buying a fuel-efficient vehicle.<br />Then I remembered I have a Jeep and can drive over sh*t.

• I used to hang out on the Brigantine beach alot through High School and College. It is pretty small and sees a lot of activity from boats/jetskis/kids swimming. I don't really remember a whole lot of lines in the water. We used to launch our jetskis on the bay while the girls drove the cherokee out on the beach. We would hang out all day tearing it up on the skis and grilling on the beach. I miss those days.

I still have 3 jet skis in my back yard to get rid of.

I spent my entire childhood fishing off the jetty at the inlet, we went down every weekend, rain or shine from April until December. We'd also spend 2-3 weeks at a rental in august. Surf fishing was tough due to constant currents but the jetty produced a lot of fish. By the late 90's the vehicle traffic on the beach was ridiculous at the south end, the north end didn't seem as bad traffic wise but after spending a day on the north beaches you usually would have no flesh left on your bones as the greenheads were overbearing.

• Yeeeeah I'm not the biggest fan of New Jersey but I used to have access to a house in Bethany so I'd stay almost every weekend. They are renting the house out this year and I certainly can't afford to pay to stay. My girlfriends family has a trailer in wildwood so it looks like I'll be spending some time there. Upside is, from the reports I saw end of summer/early fall 2013 jersey had better fishing than de. I guess I'll check into areas close to wildwood. I'm not too familiar with the area hopefully someone in her family knows

• Thanks to this thread, I learned that the New Jersey Beach Buggy Association (NJBBA) offers a Beach Driving Class on March 16th at Island Beach State Park. The course is free and you do not need to have any of the permits etc. you would normally need for beach access during that class. The gentleman said that it's about two hours of classroom instruction and then the group heads out and drives the beach (under supervision). I signed up (it says that there is a maximum of 17 slots) and he told me I was #3 on the list. He also offered that if I wanted to being a guest I was welcome to do so, so I guess it's actually a limit of 17 vehicles. Here's the link to the information in case anyone else wants to get involved. http://www.njbba.org/beach-driving.html

p.s. In talking to the instructor, he recommended a bottle jack as opposed to the traditional off-road jack that I see most Jeeps carry. Since I was going to go out and buy a jack of some kind anyway, and I was thinking that I would get the Harbor Freight special (http://www.harborfreight.com/4…f-ton-farm-jack-6530.html), maybe I should be looking at something like this instead (http://www.harborfreight.com/4…ic-bottle-jack-66450.html)?

I used to think about buying a fuel-efficient vehicle.<br />Then I remembered I have a Jeep and can drive over sh*t.

Edited once, last by Mudflaps ().

• that sounds pretty interesting. i like to think i don't need to be taught anything about driving on the beach but I'm probably wrong. i had a guy who had been riding motorcycles for over 20 years tell me he took the motorcycle safety course and learned stuff he never knew. I'm assuming this would be a similar situation

• Thanks to this thread, I learned that the New Jersey Beach Buggy Association (NJBBA) offers a Beach Driving Class on March 16th at Island Beach State Park. The course is free and you do not need to have any of the permits etc. you would normally need for beach access during that class. The gentleman said that it's about two hours of classroom instruction and then the group heads out and drives the beach (under supervision). I signed up (it says that there is a maximum of 17 slots) and he told me I was #3 on the list. He also offered that if I wanted to being a guest I was welcome to do so, so I guess it's actually a limit of 17 vehicles. Here's the link to the information in case anyone else wants to get involved. http://www.njbba.org/beach-driving.html

p.s. In talking to the instructor, he recommended a bottle jack as opposed to the traditional off-road jack that I see most Jeeps carry. Since I was going to go out and buy a jack of some kind anyway, and I was thinking that I would get the Harbor Freight special (http://www.harborfreight.com/4…f-ton-farm-jack-6530.html), maybe I should be looking at something like this instead (http://www.harborfreight.com/4…-bottle-jack-66450.html)?

Dig one in and try to get a bottle jack under it. The issue is ground pressure. Either way you will need a base to put under the jack to keep it from sinking.

• Farm jacks, (A.K.A. Hi-Lifts) can be useful in certain situations.

They can also be dangerous or even fatal if used improperly.

One of my favorite pics:

In all honesty, the factory jack would be more useful than either a Hi-Lift or a hydraulic jack on the beach.

Small enough to get under an axle, and a good bit of rise.

But, unless you are the only person on the beach, it's much easier to just get someone to give you a tug or winch you out if you are really buried.

And the factory jack will serve the requirement for equipment on DE beaches.

• Farm jacks, (A.K.A. Hi-Lifts) can be useful in certain situations. They can also be dangerous or even fatal if used improperly.

In all honesty, the factory jack would be more useful than either a Hi-Lift or a hydraulic jack on the beach.
    Small enough to get under an axle, and a good bit of rise. And the factory jack will serve the requirement for equipment on DE beaches.

Thanks for the thoughts... I will still probably buy one of the two (leaning toward the hi-lift jack, if that would be the choice for other off-road applications) and will try and also get the factory jack working with some WD-40 and application of a BFH if necessary.

• Thanks for the thoughts... I will still probably buy one of the two (leaning toward the hi-lift jack, if that would be the choice for other off-road applications) and will try and also get the factory jack working with some WD-40 and application of a BFH if necessary.

If you go Hi-Lift, I would spend the extra for the genuine thing.

If for no other reason, replacement parts are easily available.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!