Rear axle help

• Im Currently running a 98 4.0 5 spd tj with stock d35 3.07 gears. The previous owner "rebuilt" the rear but I noticed last night that the pinion is about to fall out. My question is what is needed to install a 8.8 Ford rear? It's going to have a 3" spring lift and no bigger than 35's on it but obviously it's not all getting done at once. Could the rear be done then the lift? I don't have welding or fabrication skills to set up the rear. It's not my daily driver but I'm not rich either! If anyone could help me with any information or even point me in a good direction I would greatly appreciate it!

• You will need to either find an 8.8 already done or have brackets welded on.

Here is a nice kit but it's rather expensive. There are cheaper out there.
    http://www.artecindustries.com/TJ_8.8_Swap_Kit

Maybe you can find a Dana 44 out of a TJ. They are around still.

One problem you'll run into is the 3.07's you are running. You may have to regear.

• I plan on regearing that's not the problem currently. My issue is that I can find 8.8 rears but I don't know anyone who can weld the brackets on. Also what other parts are needed like adjustable control arms and how it's going to set. Some say it'll sit higher. If someone who has had this done or can do it would give me some information as to what I would need and expect

• U can but its recommended. Its hard to cut them off clean. Why not just tighten then pinion on the d35? Or just regear it now because it will be at least half the cost. If u r looking at an 8.8 as an upgrade its gonna run u around a grand or more buy the time u pay for parts and labor.

• Could always start here.http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-2763540-ford-8-8-rear-axle-bolt-in-tj-assembly.htm I've only ever bought parts from them once or twice.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• The issue with the d35 is its open running 3.07 gears. I plan on lifting it 3" and adding 35's. The combination of those gears and tire size I wouldn't be able to drive it. I think since I can't find anyone to weld the brackets on a junk yard 8.8 I might park it till I get the cash to buy a ecgs 8.8.

• The issue with the d35 is its open running 3.07 gears. I plan on lifting it 3" and adding 35's. The combination of those gears and tire size I wouldn't be able to drive it. I think since I can't find anyone to weld the brackets on a junk yard 8.8 I might park it till I get the cash to buy a ecgs 8.8.

There's guys here who can weld on new perches to the 8.8 axle. New perches aren't expensive.. http://eastcoastgearsupply.com…xle-spring-perch-kit.html IMO, I'd just buy new perches and have one of the guys here weld them on for ya. Astape, Shadyluke (Lightning Fabrication) or Dugan (AHG Performance) can do just that.

I'm running 33's and open 3:07 axles.. she's a dog off the line but cruises pretty nicely onece she's moving. I also have a 3 speed auto so that might factor a little differently. I plan to try and swap in 4:10 axles to start w/ preferably an 8.8 rear. The gearing will already be done and later down the road I'll be looking at lockers.

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• What im saying is u can get a set a 4cyl tj axles for less then $500, swap them in and get a better ratio. U will be on the road un a day. U dont need the 8.8 unless u r gonna wheel the jeep. Even on 35's it will be be fine on the beach and light trails if u dont lock it.

Cost of an 8.8:
    300 for axle
    400 for gears and install kit
    300 for brackets
    4-600 labor
    5-600 regear the front

Maybe 2200 before u r done and thats my labor pricing which is 50% of a shop.

• What im saying is u can get a set a 4cyl tj axles for less then $500, swap them in and get a better ratio. U will be on the road un a day. U dont need the 8.8 unless u r gonna wheel the jeep. Even on 35's it will be be fine on the beach and light trails if u dont lock it.

He won't be wheeling it much with 35's and 3" of lift unless he does major cutting anyway.

• I'm also adding a body lift also! Its not my daily driver so I'm not looking to do it tomorrow. I don't really know anyone on here who would weld it up.

• I'm also adding a body lift also! Its not my daily driver so I'm not looking to do it tomorrow. I don't really know anyone on here who would weld it up.

Keep the body lift to 1 -1.5" max. Looks pretty goofy beyond that .

Nobody belongs anywhere, nobody exists on purpose, everybody's going to die. Have a beer.

Jeeps Owned... 89YJ, 81CJ-8, 99XJ, 93XJ, 00WJ, 05LJ, 22Bronco Badlands !

• I'm no fan if big body lifts I've got a 1". I originally had only planned to go with 33's but I think the fender to wheel gap may be to big with 3" spring 1" body lift. And I've read that it'll set 1/2" taller in the back with the 8.8 under it!

• You haven't really said what you plan to do with it, that makes a world of difference.

For mall cruising and the beach you can probably stuff 35's in there with that amount of lift.

12.5" tires will most likely need wider flares to get thru inspection.

• I plan on using it for light off road I understand that the more flex I have the better. My last jeep was a yj that was locked with 2.5" lift and 31's I could go more places than most jacked up trucks could. I don't want the fear of loosing another axle due to c clip failure. Most people I hear say dumping any money in the d35 is worthless. So I found two 8.8 rears ones a LSD and the other maybe also. Most being spent would be $225.00 for a 8.8. If I do end up running 35's I'm not to worried about them being too far outside of the fender flares. VA isn't real strict about that. I try to do some research and see just what size tire would look the best asfar as fender gap goes. If 3" spring and 1" body looks great on 33x12.50 than I'll probably go that route. I'm not looking to have a jeep jacked up to the sky. I know if I go too tall I will have issues with the law. So maybe I need to hear from you good people as to what's the best set up for me! I was looking at doing it in steps due to not being rich!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!