Considering a welder

• I've never welded before, but I'm looking more and more and getting started with it. I'm wondering if something like this would be worth it as a way to learn a bit and try a few things or if it's better to just go with something with more power?

I'm not looking to do suspension or anything heavy duty, maybe some exhaust hangers, redo part of my cargo rack and a few other minor things. Thinking I could do this to start, then add a stick welder or MIG setup if I get more involved.

Anyone have any thoughts or guidance to offer? What types of welders are others using?

• with a 20 percent duty cycle u wont do much more then short spot welds on sheet metal. Spend the money once and get at least a 145 amp or a 220v unit. U will find thicker things to weld. U will probably never need to stick or tig but i would get the regulator and a small bottle. Flux core is messy.

• Welding opens up a whole new world. The people I've known who had flux core welders quickly moved on to mig. I agree that flux core is very messy. I have one of the higher amperage 110 welders and you can do almost everything on a jeep with it. The 220 one I'm sure is better. I think my duty cycle is 20 percent and it will handle here and there welds nicely. If I was going to weld up a whole cage or something I would need to stop a lot and let the machine cool.

• I had a little Lincoln like that kicking around my garage for a while. It wasn't good for a whole lot more than sheet metal. I've got a Miller 211 at home and it is a decent machine. It runs off of 120 or 240 so it can grow with if you decide you want to do suspension or bumpers later. The Hobart 210 is a similar machine and is a few hundred dollars less than the Miller

• Thanks, that pretty much confirms what i was thinking.

Andy - What's the amperage on your unit?

Mine is a Lincoln Mig-pak 10 I got almost twenty years ago. It was the 120v model that The Eastwood Company had. It is 88 amps and 20 percent duty. It will do .035 wire and has four power levels. A friend of mine got a Lincoln mig a few years ago and it is 140 amp, 20 percent, and has variable output, which is really nice. I think it will use up to .045 wire. That baby set him back about $700, but it's way nice. Now he wants the dual power...

• My Lincoln Pro MIG 180, which is 220VAC, has served me well. Truthfully, the welder (machine) is much better than the welder (person), but I'm hoping to grow into it. One key factor is the portability of 110VAC. It's nice to be able to grab your welding stuff and run over to a friend's house to help him one afternoon. Everybody has 110. With a 220, you're more limited. In my case, I made a nice 220 circuit in my garage, and I invested in an extension cord that gives me plenty of wiggle room.

When engaged in conversation with a fool, be sure he is not similarly engaged.
    Chief, DEJA Grammar Police

• My Lincoln Pro MIG 180, which is 220VAC, has served me well. Truthfully, the welder (machine) is much better than the welder (person), but I'm hoping to grow into it. One key factor is the portability of 110VAC. It's nice to be able to grab your welding stuff and run over to a friend's house to help him one afternoon. Everybody has 110. With a 220, you're more limited. In my case, I made a nice 220 circuit in my garage, and I invested in an extension cord that gives me plenty of wiggle room.

Ha! Says the guy who built his own trailer! I don't think you have any problems with your welding. :thumbup:

Your life is made up of 2 dates and a dash... make the most of the dash!

• I had a little Lincoln like that kicking around my garage for a while. It wasn't good for a whole lot more than sheet metal. I've got a Miller 211 at home and it is a decent machine. It runs off of 120 or 240 so it can grow with if you decide you want to do suspension or bumpers later. The Hobart 210 is a similar machine and is a few hundred dollars less than the Miller

I have the Miller 211 as well. The automatic settings are very impressive. They tend to be almost spot on.

• Another 5-star review for the Millermatic 211. It must be the official welder of DeJA. 220 volt is not just good for the heavy stuff. It runs smoother at lower levels too. Also, a shout-out to Keen Gas. They'll give you a deal on the equipment and they're hobbyist-friendly.

• Been looking around at a few different ones and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Hobart. Looking at the 140 and 190 models, I'm not worried about need for 230 with the 190 as I'll probably install a dedicated circuit either way.

The Millermatic 210 and the others are nice, especially the ability to switch between available voltages, but I'm probably looking at a budget of around $600 or so. SO even with the Hobart models I'd be searching for a sale or good price. There's always used, but I'm a little hesitant to buy this from an unknown source.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!