Surf Tag Rates to Increase as of 7/23

• In Summary:..."the cost of surf fishing permits will be raised from $50 to $65 for Delaware residents, from $100 to $130 non-residents, from $40 to $55 for Delaware seniors and from $80 to $110 for non-resident seniors."

Full Press Release

July 7, 2005
    Volume 35, Number 2005
    Division of Parks and Recreation

Contact: Greg Abbott, Office of the Director, phone: (302) 739-9200
    or Clyde Shipman, Operations, phone: (302) 739-9220

State Park Fee Increases to Go Into Effect July 23
    Beginning July 23, Delaware's state parks will be instituting the first significant fee increase since 1986. The fee hikes are expected to generate a much-needed $1.1 million in revenue. Users have historically contributed at least 65 percent of the costs of maintaining state parks through the fees charged.

"This is not a windfall," said State Parks Director Charles A. Salkin, "The increases will offset the rising costs to operate the state parks in the consistent, clean and safe manner that the public has come to expect. Plus, we know that by maintaining our high satisfaction rating for all levels of park management, we draw tourists from out of state, which adds to the economic benefits to the state and the surrounding communities as well as the parks. The cost of operating any business has increased dramatically over the past two decades since our fees were last changed and our state park system is no exception."

At present, most of the parks charge a $2.50 daily entrance fee per vehicle for Delaware residents, $5 for out-of-state vehicles. The new fee schedule approved by the General Assembly raises daily entrance fees for the inland parks to $3 for residents, $6 for non-residents. This includes Trap Pond, Killens Pond, Fox Point, Brandywine Creek, Lums Pond, White Clay Creek and Bellevue state parks and other sites. The daily entrance fee for the ocean parks (Cape Henlopen, Delaware Seashore, Fenwick Island) will be $4 for Delawareans and $8 for non-residents.

Annual passes, which offer unlimited visits to 12 state parks and several nature preserves, will increase from $20 to $27 for Delaware residents and from $40 to $54 for non-residents.

Seniors will still receive a significant discount. Annual passes for Delawareans will increase from $10 to $12 and for non-residents from $20 to $24. The lifetime pass that is now available for Delaware seniors 65 and older will increase from $45 to $50.

In addition, the cost of surf fishing permits will be raised from $50 to $65 for Delaware residents, from $100 to $130 non-residents, from $40 to $55 for Delaware seniors and from $80 to $110 for non-resident seniors.

"We still believe – and think most park visitors agree – that we offer the best outdoor recreation bargain anywhere," said Salkin. "Many visitors are surprised by our low fees and have asked for years why we don't charge more."

Anyone planning state park visits for the rest of the year can still get an annual pass at the old rate through July 22. They're available at park offices, at state park headquarters in Dover and on-line at http://www.destateparks.com.

"The changes favor Delawareans," Salkin said. "Since residents support the parks through their taxes, it's only fair for our out-of-state visitors – whom we highly value – to make up part of the difference."

In 2004, eighty-six percent of the non-residents paying a daily entrance fee visited an ocean beach park. These facilities are the most costly for the Division of Parks and Recreation to operate because of lifeguards, bath houses and other amenities.

Delaware State Parks held the line at $1 per car per visit and $5 for an annual pass from 1971, when they first began collecting entrance fees, until 1977. That year daily entrance fees were raised to $2 per vehicle and annual passes to $10. In 1986, the daily entrance fee was changed to $2 per vehicle and 50 cents for each additional passenger. In 1992, this was standardized at $2.50 per vehicle and $20 for an annual pass. (Non-resident fees have usually been double those for residents.)

A big part of the added revenue will be used for pay hikes for more than 500 seasonal employees, their first raise in hourly salary in four years.

"When you're paying just 10 cents above the minimum wage requirement, it's difficult to recruit, hire and retain a competent work force," according to Salkin. "These folks are front line visitor contacts who provide invaluable service to our park system in all areas, including revenue collection, grounds maintenance, domestic services for the restroom facilities, environmental education programming, enforcement and lifeguarding at our ocean beaches and our water park."

1990 YJ, 4" Rough Country Lift, 33x12.5 BFG MT, Some Custom Rattle Can Paint

• There is no fee in North Carolina, and you don't have to be fishing to drive out on the beach!

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• Considering it's been almost 20 years since an increase, I've got no problem with it.

Couldn't PAY ME to go to a Jersey beach.

NC beaches are nice, but it's just beach.

These park fees pay for a lot more than just maintaining sand.

There's the bath houses, the parking lots and roads, the porta-potties for those that know it's illegal to pee on the big metal pole. The rangers that we all love to hate, but who are there for our protection. Cape Henlopen has some nice nature trails and the nature center. They are restoring one of the gun batteries from the old fort.

It all costs money.

Spend a couple moon-lit nights on the beach listening to the surf and hanging out with a few good friends and tell me it's not worth every penny.

[/soapbox]

• If I get a beach tag to join you guys and gals for some good times can someone let me use a fishing rig, and teach me to fish? :D

...guess I ought to try the fishing threads...

• Quote from "Rob Smith"

If I get a beach tag to join you guys and gals for some good times can someone let me use a fishing rig, and teach me to fish? :D

Anytime.

Fishing is easy, catching involves a little more work... :smile:

• You will find fish people just as willing to help beginners as the jeep people. You only have to show up to get started :up:

• Quote from "Keith_C"

Spend a couple moon-lit nights on the beach listening to the surf and hanging out with a few good friends and tell me it's not worth every penny.

HERE HERE
    well said keith

• Quote from "Simon"

You will find fish people just as willing to help beginners as the jeep people. You only have to show up to get started :up:

Especially the fishy Jeep people :lol:

If it&#39;s not dirty, I&#39;m not having fun!<br /><br />&#39;97 TJ SE 5 speed 4 banger - NO BLING<br /><br />REAL JEEPS HAVE 2 DOORS!

• Then there are a few of us who "pretend" to fish just to be out on the beach away from the crowds. :suspicious:

It really is a beautiful thing to be out on the beach just hanging out with friends, no crowds, the sounds of the waves crashing, relaxing, talking and laughing, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz oh - see just thinking about it relaxes me!

Heck, even when I try to fish for real I don't catch anything. I have some pretty lures though. :jester:

• Quote from "Keith_C"

These park fees pay for a lot more than just maintaining sand.

There's the porta-potties for those that know it's illegal to pee on the big metal pole. It all costs money.

This increase better mean more big metal poles!

:shrug: Hey, I was just marking my territory!

DrJ ("excuse me while I whip this out...")

• I feel the price is still worth it. I can't tell you how many times I've gone out there with a new girlfriend and the waves, moon, and secludedness worked everytime, hahaha :suspicious:

• If anyone wants to drive a bit further south to assateauge island you don't have to fish. The offroad permit there is 80, and the seasonal park pass is 20. (you have to get both to go offroad). But there are no requirements to be fishing. I go out just to hang out, have beach parties, and go swimming.

• Quote from "Rob"

I've gone out there with a new girlfriend and the waves, moon, and secludedness worked everytime, hahaha :suspicious:

:question: That was you?

You should see yourself on video. You can for $19.99. :jester:

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I just picked up a two year tag yesteday, and the lady siad if you have a one year now, you can add a nother year for the lower price untill the new prices go into effect on Friday or whenever.

2000 Sahara, All custom...
    2000 Cherokee Police package, Beater....

I may be slowest and the stupidest

• are they calendar year plates, or 12 months from the date you buy one?

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!