Easiest/cheapest way to fix death wobble

• Do a search on this forum for "Death Wobble". There are a bunch of good threads that will get you quicker info than waiting for responses.

Short answer though:
    Have someone turn the steering wheel lock to lock while you look for movement.
    Check and/or tighten the hell out of your track bar.
    Inspect steering linkage.
    Make sure tires are balanced properly and switch tires from front to back to see if anything changes.
    Check control arm bushings and ball joints for play.

I'm sure I'm missing a few things but hopefully that gets you started.

Good luck!!! :)

• Not sure if this is something you should be looking to the "easiest and cheapest way".

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• take out the upper bolt to your track bar, pull the bar down out of the way. stick the bolt back in the bracket, wiggle it,it should be fairly tight . if it moves around a lot there is part of your problem. do the same for the lower end.also check the ends of the track bar. anything that's loose adds to the problem

• [quote='KnoxRents','https://www.delawareja.com/forum/index.php?thread/&postID=312573#post312573']
    Do a search on this forum for "Death Wobble". There are a bunch of good threads that will get you quicker info than waiting for responses.

Short answer though:
    Have someone turn the steering wheel lock to lock while you look for movement.
    Check and/or tighten the hell out of your track bar.
    Inspect steering linkage.
    Make sure tires are balanced properly and switch tires from front to back to see if anything changes.
    Check control arm bushings and ball joints for play.

I'm sure I'm missing a few things but hopefully that gets you started.

Good luck!!! :)

Thanks that's where I'll start

• Death wobble SUCKS! I dealt with it a few months back for awhile, it went away and now Im getting it again occasionally. Ive narrowed mine down to needing new tires and either a worn out steering box (wich shouldent be because I swapped in a durango box a year ago) or worn links in the steering column/shaft. unbalanced tires and bent rims can trigger it but the issue is generally somthing worked itself loose, especially if it happened without an upgrade/mod or a wheeling trip involved to break somthing.
    Good luck with it!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!