Jeep for a New Driver?

• OK... going to throw this out there for opinions.

My son is turning 15 next month, and we've been discussing "first car" options for a year already. His first choice was a Wrangler... to which I said no. My theory: short wheelbase + high center of gravity + soft/no top = trouble.

When I told him that, he said, "I guess I'll drive whatever you are driving when I get my license." So I went out and bought Mudflaps. His response: "I see what you did there." :8)

Since then, he's been focused on something like a Mustang or other "sports" car, which in my opinion would be just as bad as a first car for a new driver. But seriously, what are the potential issues for/against a Wrangler as a first car? Now that I've had mine for six months, I am reconsidering.

Now I'm thinking that a YJ (pre-1994 for insurance issues... can you insure a new driver on an antique car policy?) with a 4-cylinder automatic and stock tires/wheels with no lift can't be much worse than a basic mini-SUV (other than the soft/no top issue)... worst case I could put my unused hard top on his.

That would still give him the fun of having a Jeep without many of my initial concerns. But I'm curious to what others may say...

I used to think about buying a fuel-efficient vehicle.<br />Then I remembered I have a Jeep and can drive over sh*t.

• While I like the idea of an old Jeep as a "first car", if your looking for safety, it's not a great choice. Modern cars (all after 2007?) have stability control which will cut power and use the ABS to apply brakes if it senses the vehicle is about to spin or roll. So, a 2007 JK would be a lot safer than a YJ. Of course, that's ignoring the fact that a few hundred thousand kids have had a Jeep as their first car and didn't kill themselves. :) I'd say grab a YJ, add some skid plates and bumpers (with him helping!) to help lower the center of gravity. Teach him how to pump the brakes since they don't have antilock, and all the other smooth/safe driving tips...

Jerry / Whatevah

2020 Gladiator Mojave - 33" Falken mud tires, LoD side steps, Zroadz bed rack, Quadratec QRC winch bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0, Kleinn on-board air, Kleinn air horns, lots of lights, Yaesu ham radio with GPS tracker.

Gone- 2012 JK Rubicon with stuff. Long gone- Long-arm 2001 Cherokee with stuff.

• I like the thought that starting in '97 the Wrangler came with airbags - before then, not so much. Just a thought.

If you go with newer, I know someone that is selling a TJ, 4 cyl, auto, with low miles. Not stock though.

• Don't need no stinking air bags. We didn't have them in our first cars.

Get a Wrangler, upgrade the bumpers, and get a set of BFGoodrich All Terrains.

Kids are going to be stupid regardless of what they drive. I'd rather it be a slow vehicle than a fast one. That way if he does something dumb the chances are better that it will be at low speed and you'll find him stuck in the mud instead of wrapped around a pole.

I let my son drive my Jeep once. I had all intentions of letting him take it over at one point. He didn't like it because it was too difficult to shift. Plus he didn't fit in it. His knees hit the stearing column.

Perfect candidate:
    http://www.delawareja.com/forum/index.php?topic=37920.0

Member since 2000

Jeeps Owned'79 CJ5:

Specs-

- 258 I6

- '93 Cherokee fuel injection and HO head,

- bored 30 over

- with 4x4 cam

T18 tranny with granny low / Dana 18 t-case

Dana 44 front and back from late '70s Wagoneer, both locked and loaded with 4.88 gears

SOA on modified YJ springs with shackle reversa

Fiberglass tub with 6 point cage mounted to the frame

2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
    Spec-

Quadratec Floor mats

• I say look at a TJ, much better suspension and more stable than the older leaf sprung jeeps, has air bags, and cheaper than a jk. 4 cyl and auto are good choices too. Then like others said, add skid plates and bumpers. To him, they will make it more hard core and cool, to u, it will be weight and protection. Also, u could rip out the factory roll cage and put in a comp cage, again, cool and safe.

• This brought back a memory.

Used to be a guy here named Drew that had the "Gator Jeep".

He got a lifted Jeep for his young daughter.

Turned out like this:

Pretty sure the recovery bill was much more than what the Jeep was worth.

• I let my daughter drive my JKU. I will say that I pray every time she leaves the house. We don't have the funds to buy her a car and neither does she yet.

• i was 16 when my step dad and i were looking for a wrangler for me, i ended up getting a 95 yj with a 4 cylinder. jeep didn't go fast at all and it started out stock. My stepdad taught me all the ways to be safe while driving and even how to be safe while going off road. when he thought i was ready he got me a lift and tires and i never once got in an accident or was in an unsafe situation. i think if you can be there to teach him the responsible way to drive it than it can really create an even better bond between the 2 of you

• Cherokee!!! They are cheap to buy and the cheapest vehicle to insure. The 4.0 AW4 combo takes some abuse and seem to run forever.

X2 I think a Cherokee would be a great first car.

Neill

In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

• I remember when this happened. Its what I think about every time my 13 year old says she's getting my Jeep for her first car.

• My first ride was a 1946 CJ2A. Had it for a few months and got bored sitting on a gas tank and doing 35MPH. I then saved every penny and my parents helped a lot and my second car was a 1966 Cheverly SS and it did 9.10s in a 1/4 mile with slicks. I get what you are saying and when my boys get to that driving point I will also look for safety first. But I have to say my SS was the best ride I ever had. That being said, I sold my old jeep at work to a guy who's daughter wanted it for her first car. Jeeps are cool but in my opinion it does not.matter on the car but the maturity of the young adult.

• X2 Taylor wants one too Jason. I remember Drew too. Nice guy but a little off, but I guess we all are a little! LOL I had just bought some parts off him about a week before this happened.

Former V.P. (2006-2007)
    V.P. of Jeeps for Joy (2004-2010)
    President of Jeeps for Joy (2010-2012)
    Beater Build Winning Driver (2009)

• Kids are going to be stupid regardless of what they drive. I'd rather it be a slow vehicle than a fast one. That way if he does something dumb the chances are better that it will be at low speed and you'll find him stuck in the mud instead of wrapped around a pole.

This is the main point. Kids are going to be dumb regardless of what they are driving. I see no issue with getting him a Wrangler as his first vehicle. If he is like most teens they will push the limits of their vehicles better to have him push it in a mud puddle than on route 1 at 140 mph. I would say a TJ or a JK would be the best bet. I know for a fact that my JK has come through with the traction control for me on snowy and wet streets. If safety is the main goal it would be better to have something that has traction control and/or airbags. But regardless of the vehicle he needs to be taught to respect the power and responsibility. Smart and safe driving are key.

• I have to disagree, i think wranglers are a horrible choice
    for a first car simply because of how unforgiving they
    are when things go bad. Sure in straight line and in a
    parking lot they seem tame enough, but at 50mph an
    emergency manuver requires skill - something most
    teenagers lack.

You cant go wrong with an Xj or Zj as a first car - cheap
    reliable, lower insurance, and later models come with
    ABS ect... After a couple of years you can upgrade and
    he/she will have experience and skill to deal with a more
    high strung vehicle like the wrangler/Cj..

• I like the idea of a wrangler for a first car. The main reason. Its to loud to talk on a cell phone wich is half the reason teenagers wreck now days. Secondly, they are easy to fix when they do somthing dumb and with some bumpers and cage reinforcment I think they are pretty safe. I think an xj would be even better but if the kid has there heart set on a wrangler its probably going to happen sooner or later. Just dont lift it and you dont have to worry about it rolling over. Stock yj/tj's sit at about the height of your average car anyway. Plus you can worry less in the winter when they have 4x4 and snow tires.

• I agree a nice Cherokee is the better choice. BUT with that said this was my sisters car. [color=rgb(17, 85, 204)][size=13px]http://www.cecildaily.com/news…2cf45cd-6c2a-55a8-a876-ae
    26084e31e2.html[/size]
    [/color] My nephew was the driver. When I talked to him about it a few weeks later I asked if he was trying to hit 100 MPH and he said yes. If you're familiar with that road 100 MPH is a terrifying idea.

All we can do is hope that we taught our kids the right lessons and release them to life. If something bad happens there is no car that can make it perfectly safe.

My daughter is 2.5 yo and my plan is to reward good grades and good life lessons with the car she wants. Hopefully when she turns driving age I'll still have the '06 and she will want to drive it.

• First hand experience - an XJ is the perfect first vehicle. When I turned 16, I was fortunate to be given an 87 XJ to drive. It was reliable, slow, inexpensive and capable when the weather turned bad. I wasn't thrilled with it at first, but in time I grew to absolutely LOVE it. It still holds a very special place in my heart.

Sure, it wasn't a Wrangler (and what kid wouldn't want one) but I was a responsible kid and understood how fortunate I was just to have a vehicle.

• ...... and get a set of BFGoodrich All Terrains.

Worst.Idea.EVER

I am convinced that aside from looking good that are a pathetic tire for a light weight wrangler. Old technology and design that they refuse to updated for some reason.

So many better alternatives out there now. General Grabber AT2 comes to mind.

Straight six or nuthin!
    1993 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ splash graphics!
    1993 Dodge W-350 Cummins
    2006 BMW 325xi wagon.

• As one of the younger members of the club, I can say that my first vehicle was a 1998 TJ 4 cylinder with 5 speed manual transmission. I personally loved that wrangler as a first car. It teaches everything a young driver should learn. How to shift and read traffic and become a defensive driver. How to brake properly in slippery conditions since there was no ABS. And all repairs and maintenance were cheap/easy and taught a lot about how vehicles work. In the end though, any kid can get in any vehicle and drive recklessly and endanger themselves. Responsibility and careful/defensive driving techniques are really what will keep your son/daughter safe.

Spend some time in a parking lot learning shifting and hard braking techniques. ABSOLUTELY NO PHONES WHATSOEVER. The rest is up to how responsible the driver is. For what its worth, if I ever decided to have children, I would feel comfortable letting them start on an XJ or TJ as a first vehicle.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!